CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

(CHIP help?)My hognose snake is going to die

Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Spencer
(CHIP help?)My hognose snake is going to die

I can feel it. There is nothing I can do about it. As much as I try feeding with every method possible the damn thing wont eat. I tried assist feeding and he just spits it back out, and I REALLY hope its the mouses blood i have all over my hands but I have a feeling it may be the snakes. I really dont see why he wont eat. I really dont know if I can deal with an animal dying in my care.

why would he not eat....... I dont understand.........

Hes losing weight. I am starting to be able to see his spine. He looks hungry.....

its bad....i just want him to eat. Why does he hiss at the food.... hy does he spit it out. Why doesnt he want to eat. this hunger strike is disconcerting. Ive already tried the vet. The most they can offer is a shot of nutrients which doesnt make any sense because It still wont help him to start eating.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
Nanci
Are there any more experienced snake keepers near you, who can show you how to assist feed him? You have to hold his mouth shut once it's in there, until he swallows.

Have you tried frog or toad scenting? That is your single most best bet.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Spencer
Nanci.... I'm the only one who likes snakes....and I'm in a foreign country Where hardly anyone speaks my language (esl teacher) the pinky is to big to fit in his mouth. But....I managed something....I cut the head off and stuck that on his mouth....and either I didn't see him spit it out or he ate it. I think he ate it, and he hates me. But just a pink head, not sure the good it will do. He's squirming tons when I hold his head. And with the head, even scraped myself on his teeth. Not bad, But I had to use my fingers. Tongs aren't good.as for frogs.....or toads....I really can't find any in Japan, except the kind that are like 80 dollars and meant as a pet, and no offense., But I don't want a pet toad

Old 03-25-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
Shiari
I actually use a chopstick to shove pinky heads into non-feeders. I... kinda put it into the brain case from the back and use that to get it past the jaws. Then by carefully holding the head in place from the outside with my fingers, I remove the chopstick and help the snake get it down the rest of the way.

Old 03-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Spencer
SHiari. Thanks. I have an abundance of chopsticks here in japan. And they are the pointier ones too. Great idea. Yet with only heads, not sure how long here can hold off on only them

Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Alli_Draggy
Does he do the hoggie threat display where he reacts and eventually plays dead? According to our herpetologist friend (who works with Eastern Hognose), one of the better ways to get a stubborn hoggie onto mice is to wait until they play dead, and then stick a scented pinkie in their mouth when it's open. Usually, they taste it there and instinct takes over.

Are frogs used as a food animal at all in Japan? I know they are in China, and even if you could just get some frog legs, you could use them for scenting. Not as good as a fresh toad from the hoggie's point of view, but closer to their food source.

Another option might be if you could get some pond water from somewhere amphibians live. Basically, make the mouse smell less like a mouse and more like something the hoggie likes to eat.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Spencer
No frogs are not used at all. Ill ask tomorrow But I doubt it highly. Food in Japan and China are polar opposites. The only similarity is ramen and rice. And even the ramen is so different.
He doesn't do the play dead thing. At all. And when I did shove stuff on his mouth he only spit it out. He doesn't like food and he is scared of me. I feel terrible. I feel cruel. I've never had an animal afraid of me like this before. Even my corn baby doesn't fear me. She doesnt especially like being touched But she is not afraid. I'll try changing substrate tomorrow.... Maybe that will help. And I've tried scenting with tuna Today. Didn't work.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
Shiari
I would actually not use a pointy chopstick. You don't want to have it accidentally go through the mouse head and poke your baby in the throat.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
Nanci
The snake isn't going to remember this part of its life forever. Just do what you have to do to keep it alive. You can regain its trust later. But- how much weight has he actually lost? And can you take a photo of him, with the pink by his head? A 24 gram snake should _easily_ swallow a pink, and hoggies have much wider mouths and heads than corns.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
Chip
Like I said on the original thread on the matter, I can not stress enough, never try to force feed a hognose. Their little teeth break loose so easily, and then they have to heal before they will eat. Give it time now, his mouth is probably sore. Offer food no more than every 48 hours, and best to do in the evening, in my experience. Don't even think about tease feeding, or many of the tricks for corns that involve the pinkie moving. Put the food item in and leave it overnight. Good luck.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google