CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Excess Feeders, suggestions please?

Old 07-09-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
cinnabunbun
Excess Feeders, suggestions please?

Hi all, long time no talk! So my corn is now 28 grams, she's growing pretty fast even though I kept her on a consistent schedule. She should be on small fuzzies now but I have ALOT of pinkies left, approximately 23 2 grams and 4-6 3-4g pinkies. I'm not sure what to do with the rest of the smaller pinkies, as I only have one snake. I still have her on double pinkies once I run out of the larger pinkies. She's also eating every 6 days now.

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated! I wish I didn't bought 50 larger pinkies hah!

Old 07-09-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
yeah, buying quantities of feeder while a snake is growing is not always a good thing.
Once they are grown and eating steady sized meals it's different but right now about the only thing you can do is:
1. Continue to feed what you have (2 or 3 or 4 at a time) until they are gone,
2. Toss them out and count your losses, or
3. Find somebody with a baby snake you can sell them to or give them to, or possibly trade for larger feeders.
(Been there - done that)
What did I do?
I used them up feeding several at a time. I did make sure the weight ratio was right though so as not to over feed.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:34 PM   #3
albertagirl
I think Karl covered all the bases here except for one... And that is to *ahem* acquire a new baby snakey to eat all them there pinkies. That's what I did!!!

Old 07-09-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
DLena
Good thing Karl and Albertagirl gave you good answers. I just got home from an 824 mile road trip all in one day, and feel a bit punchy. I was going to suggest dunking them in shellac and making a necklace. Ha ha, Ha Axis, beat you to it. Lol

Old 07-09-2016, 10:40 PM   #5
DollysMom
Lol DLena! Good one. Get some rest.

Pinkies are the only mice I ever threw out. They just got old and my snakes had moved on. I only tossed ten or so.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:09 AM   #6
axis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLena View Post
Good thing Karl and Albertagirl gave you good answers. I just got home from an 824 mile road trip all in one day, and feel a bit punchy. I was going to suggest dunking them in shellac and making a necklace. Ha ha, Ha Axis, beat you to it. Lol
Very good DLena!!! I am NOT even TRYING to do better than that, because sometimes it's the TIMING that counts! Just very tickled to know that being humorous is also contagious! Maybe I'll start a sub-forum JUST for humor, though I had initially thought that "HELL" was supposed to have achieved that, but it kinda flickered & died out faster than a fart in a rain barrel!!!

Maybe when I get some extra time, I WILL start something for laughs though. It's an idea, at least. (Right now I'm busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest!!!! So maybe when things calm down a little?)

Old 07-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #7
cinnabunbun
If I wasn't saving up to move soon, I would of definitely save up to get another snake hah! For some reason I kept getting worried that my snake will regurg, so that might be a reason why I'd keep em until they go bad, but she hasn't. I sorta just followed Dragonling's suggestion on how much feeders to buy. Feeding more pinkies in a feeding might seem nutritionally deficient because she's still a growing snake.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabunbun View Post
If I wasn't saving up to move soon
Okay, the first time I read that I read "I was saving them to make soup".

I'm so glad I read that wrong!! Then again...

Old 07-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
axis1
Whoa!! Hey albertagirl, that's worse than one of my faux pas! (But I LIKE it!!! Even though it DOES give me a slight urge to hurl my breakfast!!! HA HA!! Spewing CHUNKS on a Sunday afternoon, what can be better than that??). I hope my presence isn't contaminating your sense of good and decency!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabunbun View Post
. . . Feeding more pinkies in a feeding might seem nutritionally deficient because she's still a growing snake.
Unless someone else who knows something I don't, I doubt the quantity of mice makes a difference as opposed to the total weight of all that are fed to your little sneaky one. I mean what's the difference between 3 pinkies which weigh 7 grams or 1 fuzzy which weighs the same? (For those who know me, NO, it's NOT a riddle!).

I had a hopper and a fuzzy which weighed 15 grams and a small mouse which weighed almost exactly the same. For my yearling, Ozzy, who's approximately 134 grams, they all made up exactly 2 whole meals, though he sucked the first 2 down so fast, I don't even think he tasted them!

Just sayin'.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #10
albertagirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis1 View Post
Unless someone else who knows something I don't, I doubt the quantity of mice makes a difference as opposed to the total weight of all that are fed to your little sneaky one. I mean what's the difference between 3 pinkies which weigh 7 grams or 1 fuzzy which weighs the same? (For those who know me, NO, it's NOT a riddle!).
I think the difference is that baby mice have more fat, and less muscle/bone. So the nutrient balance is different. More calcium for sure and maybe more protein too in an older mouse. Also, the contents of their stomachs would be different, so that may have nutritional impact as well. I don't know how much difference it makes for a short period, but if you were to feed your snake nothing but pinkies forever, you'd probably end up with health issues. It's been a while since I read up on this, so I'm pretty fuzzy on the details, but there IS a difference.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
feeders, mice