CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

getting started with DSLR

Old 05-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
idloveaguinness
The D3000 is a great camera, and you should be able to get very good results with the on the camera flash using full auto mode. Sure, you could spend another few hundred and get the SB400 or 700, but I would recommend just fiddling around with your current setup - ESPECIALLY if you're new to DSLR. Keep that 18-55 on and stand about 4 feet away, shoot in "Auto" to start. Yes, you are going to get lots of advice to fiddle around with manual. I disagree. When I got my first DSLR (a Nikon D50, similar to your D3000 - I'm using a D7000 these days), I left it in full auto using only the on camera flash. Manual modes and speedlights like the SB400 can take a while to get good results if you're new to the game. Start small, learn with what you have and introduce one new thing at a time. You'll get the hang of it. If you really want to learn the manual modes for your camera - I highly recommend the "For Dummies" - I'm sure there's one for the D3000. I'd post picures of my snake, but it's not at home yet....a couple more weeks before the local dealer has them in.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #12
idloveaguinness
Oh - and I'd stick to jpegs as well.....RAW processing is yet another ball to juggle when you're new with DSLR.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
desiredbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by idloveaguinness View Post
Oh - and I'd stick to jpegs as well.....RAW processing is yet another ball to juggle when you're new with DSLR.
Completely disagree with that. as you could treat your raw as a standard jpeg
The only advantage of raw isd that you can do some corrections without loss of detail.
Like whiteballancing under and over exposure.

Something like adobe bridge does that automatically, and thereby enables you to correct the beginners errors as "depth of fiels" and "shutterspeed" backlight and flashing to strong on a close by object.

What you do with a raw is up to yourself. Your PC/laptop can print it just as is as well

Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
idloveaguinness
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiredbard View Post
Completely disagree with that. as you could treat your raw as a standard jpeg
The only advantage of raw isd that you can do some corrections without loss of detail.
Like whiteballancing under and over exposure.

Something like adobe bridge does that automatically, and thereby enables you to correct the beginners errors as "depth of fiels" and "shutterspeed" backlight and flashing to strong on a close by object.

What you do with a raw is up to yourself. Your PC/laptop can print it just as is as well
I totally get what you're saying. I shoot RAW - actually, I shoot both RAW and JPEG with every shutter release. From a basic photo processing and sharing perspective, JPEG is easier for a beginner with a new system. I'm all about baby steps - one thing at a time. For the OP, it's a new camera. Now they've got a menu of things to choose from next.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
SquamishSerpents
great forum to learn about photography, and SPECTACULAR work there! it's ran by vBulletin, too so no crazy forum software to get used to: Digital Photography School Forums

and here's the full website: http://www.digital-photography-school.com/
in my opinion, Auto mode is 100% useless. it doesn't take everything into account, often leaving you with over or under exposed shots, shots with motion-blur because it didn't have a fast enough shutter speed, etc.

why NOT shoot only manual? it's digital, you could take infinity photos, and it wouldn't matter if they all sucked, because then you just delete them, and that's the end of it!

the very basic thing you should read about is the Exposure Triangle. it is the FUNDAMENTAL thing you MUST know in photography.

the D3000's an alright camera for a beginner, for sure. it shouldn't be too hard for you to learn. you;ll start getting more and more satisfying shots as you go along.

i just really don't recommend manual, because sometimes it ends up being a "crutch" for you to lean on, and then you get lazy, and never bother learning how to do it yourself. being able to manipulate every single aspect of a photo is something that simply cannot happen in Auto.

Old 05-07-2011, 05:10 AM   #16
desiredbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by idloveaguinness View Post
I totally get what you're saying. I shoot RAW - actually, I shoot both RAW and JPEG with every shutter release. From a basic photo processing and sharing perspective, JPEG is easier for a beginner with a new system. I'm all about baby steps - one thing at a time. For the OP, it's a new camera. Now they've got a menu of things to choose from next.
True enough...cant get my Dad to deal with my photo's...however
If you start DSL you migh just as well get the conversin step under control for the rest of the world...

I shot both for a while but i dont see the use anymore.
I have an 8 G card (well more but in there)
I shoot high quality raw in series of 3-10 automatic.
I use adobe bridge
delete 30-80% of the photo's (remember i shoot 3-10 in one shot)
That looks a waste but eylids closed mouths just open , or snakes ..tongue just missed

If the photo allows reset your white balence
Add black (for the eyes, and a bit of vibrance
And eventhough RAW is huge... i can undo all my changes in one click ..days months years later if i ever wanted for some reason.

I personally dont think that the autocorrect setting in bridge i such a hard step to learn...and then take it from there, as you can see the sliders autoadjustand then finetune yourself.

(I was "forced" into this by a collegue a week after buying my dslr...and i never looked back) I dont think its all that difficult at all (I'm not realy gopod at it either though)...then again I am a nerd I like my IT.... (Feeding a mouse to your snake should come with extra clarification as i had to snip the usb cord out of its mouth)

Old 05-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #17
idloveaguinness
All good advice. I also recommend dpreview.com as a good resource. Go to the D3000 forum and see what others are doing with that setup. You'll be amazed!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google