CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

That Photo Technique Works!

Old 04-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
DanaP
Love the tongue photo!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
kathylove
Gorgeous corn!

Bill actually has a bunch of different sizes of hides that he uses to calm snakes. He usually makes sure they are rectangular shapes, because the snake will often assume roughly the shape of the hide. When he gently pulls it off of them, they often (but not always) stay still for a minute or two for a couple of nice shots. But sometimes it takes several minutes or more of hide time for it to work.

Bill will be giving a talk for the Staten Island herp society in late May, I believe. I don't remember what the topic will be - maybe it is on their site. He has no plans for any other northeastern areas this year that I know of. But he will always consider invitations if the herp society can afford expenses. And I am sure he would be happy to discuss photography if you attend, whether that is the subject or not.

Keep up the good work!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
desiredbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitheringdead View Post
Hey, i actually tried the well known technique of covering my snakes for a few minutes before taking their pics and what do you know... they actually stayed still for a few seconds. Long enough for me to take some close ups. The next step is for me to create a nice natural background that will help enhance their colors and also add to the overall aesthetic appeal.
Well known technique?
I am beginning to know my olympus dslr
I dont use a macro lens, just the standard 14-42 mm
But foxus still to much on the body

...Now AF+MF would be a solution if himself would not bob its head

How does the covering technique work..and how much time does it buy you

Old 04-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
desiredbard

Old 04-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
kathylove
It often does not buy MUCH time...

but the longer you leave them in the hide, the more likely they are settled into place and may not move for a few minutes when you carefully remove the hide from them. If you wait only a minute or two for them to settle, it often doesn't work at all. We often put a weight on top of the hide, and do something else for 15 minutes. Then there is a reasonably good chance that the snake won't just go "boing" like a tightly wound spring when you lift the hide. But sometimes that is exactly what happens! It can be very frustrating if you don't have LOTS of patience!

Old 04-23-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
desiredbard
`yep that Hiding and lifting does work... a treat
So great that I can lift his hoiding bark give him a two second snif at my finger
Scoop his roled up body...walk to the kitchen....
Find out i forgot my flash card in tha camera...
And then take a set of pics on the ashen table

What Works as wel with enoug light is change the aperture on your camera
The Shots on my hand were made this way.

And please some feedback positive and negative (the last with pointers on how to correct)

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=1205

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google