CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

The Nikon P500

Old 05-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
ShenziSixaxis
The Nikon P500

Anyone been able to use this or something very similar? I saw this in an add, noticed that it's capable of 36x zoom (holy ****!), and only 400 dollars. Go on Nikon's site, compare it to my L110, and I think I know what camera I want to upgrade to...

Anyone have any comments? I'm looking at the official webpage for the camera and the sample photos, and holy crap... asksfjiehg-- freaking amazing.

I also like the rechargeable battery. The L110 takes AA batteries, which is a nice idea in theory, but mostly annoying if you don't go on trips a lot. And it has a "Continuous Shooting Options", which would be burst mode, right?

What's bothering me currently with the L110 is it doesn't take really close shots (which would be nice) without blurring it a bit or making it super bright; it doesn't take good pictures of things like skin up close without the flash washing it out; unless I use the flash, the camera takes like 2-4 seconds to take a picture, and even when I hold it as still as I can, most of the time it blurs noticeably; inside, I really have to play around to get the right lighting, as the flash can be over powering inside and without the flash, everything is yellowish.

So I'm wondering if this camera would make those problems a bit better?

Old 05-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Jessicat
If you're going to drop hundreds of dollars on a camera, get a DSLR. Even if you get an off brand one it's worth it, and your picture quality will be much better than a point and shoot. You'll have more control, more room to grow.. it'll be a long time before you're wishing for a new camera.

Just make sure you do as much research as you can within your price range before making your decision.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:57 AM   #3
ShenziSixaxis
Unfortunately, with most DSLRs I've checked out, unless you want to get one, you're going to have to drop another few hundred for a lens or two, and most DSLRs also seem to have little to no zoom without another lens.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:10 AM   #4
desertanimal
To be honest, you're not going to use that 36x zoom without a tripod.

If you're wanting to get something better than a point and shoot for working with animals, I really like my Panasonix Lumix fz-30. The zoom is on a ring around the lens, which is a million times better than that toggle bar on most non-DSLR cameras.

I got mine used on ebay. It's the first anywhere near decent camera I've ever had and I really like it. It's no DSLR, but like you, I couldn't afford that. And I like that it's a little more flexible than a DSLR in terms of having a macro setting without having to changes lenses. There were a number of times when a friend and I were taking photos of lizards in hand where my friend had to stand across the room because he didn't have the right lens with him at the time.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:51 AM   #5
ShenziSixaxis
My dad's said we have tripods, as well as those mini ones (not sure what they're called), but every time I ask for one, he says he'll get it later and has said that for months.

While I want something that'll be good for animals, I'm looking for something that won't have the horrible problems I'm having with my L110, but also a few more features.

I'll check out Panasonic's cameras, but Nikon has a couple chains on me.

I went through and looked at a few more cameras and now don't really know what I want.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #6
SquamishSerpents
the whole BIG ZOOM thing is a gimmick.

it's true, you'll never, ever be able to get a clear shot hand-held with that much zoom. even on a tripod, you zoom in that much and you're going to have so much noise in the photo that you'll probably just delete it anyways.

stay away from cameras that claim big time zoom. you'd be way better off with a Nikon with an 18-55mm (standard kit lens). sure, you might not be able to zoom in as far, but even with the big zooms you won't get useable photos from them anyways.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
desertanimal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquamishSerpents View Post
the whole BIG ZOOM thing is a gimmick.

it's true, you'll never, ever be able to get a clear shot hand-held with that much zoom. even on a tripod, you zoom in that much and you're going to have so much noise in the photo that you'll probably just delete it anyways.
Agreed. My camera zooms much more than I actually use, because the whole digital zoom thing is pretty much useless.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:57 AM   #8
SquamishSerpents
yeah, i speak from experience. i've had probably 5 or 6 cameras with zoom like that and i don't think i've ever maxed the zoom out on one of them. it's just another "feature" you'll never use that they charge you big $ for.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Blue Apple Herps
You could pick up a used D40 body probably pretty cheap, and then get another decent lens. I bet you could get a used DSLR set up for ~$400. I agree with others, if you're spending that $$ get a DSLR. Plus as you can afford it, you can get additional lenses, etc so you can really get the shots you want.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
medusacoils
That is the camera that we have and my wife loves it. Very simple controls. Takes great pics and I have zoomed out to 36x while at Disney, without a tripod, and had taken some nice photos. This also takes nice action and macro shots.

Nice Camera for the Price!

Wayne

*edit* The picture below is at 36x zoom with no tripod. We were all the way in the back of the crowd. I zoomed in for this, and many more pictures. I have made no alterations, with the exception of pixels, to this picture.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google