CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Photography Techniques and Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Photography Techniques and Equipment This forum is for the discussion of technical details of how to take good pictures as well as discuss the equipment used in that pursuit.

Slate background

Old 06-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #1
HeavenHell
Question Slate background

Do you think this would provide a nice base to photograph snakes against?
I was thinking about picking one up for that purpose.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
StrangeCargo
That looks awfully thick/heavy. Go to Lowes or Home depot and check out the flooring/tile dept. My tiles are 12" X 12"...doesn't give you a whole lotta room for pics BUT there are some 18" x 18" times too. Thin...lightweight. You can buy single tiles (in cool natural looking rock colors) for a few bucks. I try to avoid the glossy clear coated ones to help out with camera flash (I'm a horrible photographer anyways)... Hope that helps.

Graham

Old 06-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
StrangeCargo
I also used some old weathered "barn wood" and it looked great (or at least I liked the look)... here are some examples (again- I suck at photography...)

Old 06-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
HeavenHell
Thumbs up

Hi Graham. Good idea with the flooring suggestion. You're right about those blocks being heavy. I bought an 18 x 18 one and it must weigh 25 pounds. I guess that's fine though as I won't be moving it around much. The one I bought has a few nicks and scraps in it (they all did) but I guess that will give the photos a little more character. I'm guessing that people looking at the photos will be focused on the snakes anyway.

I'll be posting some new photos soon.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
HeavenHell
Talking

Here's a couple of Cornwallis (Abbott) on the new slate base.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Blue Apple Herps
I personally just like white posterboard that is curved against a chair. Its super cheap and really makes the snakes pop. Black posterboard can also be used. I think the slate background and natural backgrounds (i.e. shooting in a tree) can be cool, but I really want my snakes to "pop" and stand out in the pictures to really show them off.

Here are two examples:

Old 06-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
Dorgrim
i like the white paper too! works great to bring out the darker colors on snakes! black paper for paler snakes

Old 06-07-2011, 10:06 AM   #8
Pal-O-Mine
I think the slate will work but you need a lighter version, like a slate roofing shingle. The older houses and barns around where I live are roofed in slate many times and they're great for crafts. I hate seeing these old buildings demolished and I always try to grab the slate.

Here's a pic of Franco my KSB against slate. My apologies for his color. He's gearing up to shed.

Devon

Old 06-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
Jessicat
I like the slate background. Anything grey or silvery usually compliments any snake in the right conditions. It brings out colors in Anery Morphs that might other wise blend in, and it compliments flashy morphs really well.

I guess I just really don't like the "white background" look. It can be okay in certain situations, but I much prefer natural settings, and I think the light color of the grey slate is a perfect medium of kind of more natural looking, yet still really show cases the snake.

Looking forward to more pictures!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google