CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > Administrative > Discussions about this site
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Discussions about this site How is this site doing? Any suggestions to make? This is the forum to talk about this website in general.

Odd....

Old 11-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
jazzgeek
Odd....

I'm surprised I'm able to post this, as I can't read any posts...whether I go through "New Posts", or through individual sub-forums, whenever I try to open a thread, I'm getting:

Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
File: /home/corns/public_html/forums/realchatapi.php
Line: 13

regards,
jazz

Old 11-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
tyflier
Same here. In fact...this is the first post I have been able to read all morning, and I will actually be surprised if this posts...

Old 11-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Rich Z
Seems to be intermittent. I have contacted my programmer to look into it. I believe he was doing some work on the chat room integration earlier....

Old 11-02-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
Duff
Seeing as how the error mentions a chatapi, that makes sense. It seems to be cleared up for me, for now anyway. It was out all morning for me, however (starting @ 8:30am et). Gotta say, as a paying contributor, these types of things should be tested in a sandbox before putting on a live, paid site. I know it's not much, but a paying for something is still paying, and should include a little more accountability.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
scottsquatch
Awwww! Come on Duff, these things happen from time to time. Plus, do you have ANY idea how busy Rich probably is with this site, fauna, AND his business dealings from Serpenco? Cut the poor man some slack.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
MerlinsPop
Having managed several development projects in the past, I can attest that sometimes you can test the snot outta something and things still go wrong. happens. To me, I think the speed that the problem is identified, fixed, and then not allowed to happen again is more important.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
jazzgeek
Obviously, I'm back up and running.

And Scott, I can see Duff's point. Most web hosting companies no longer charge for a subdomain, so it'd be pretty easy to have Rich's Web Monkey test this under something like http://staging.cornsnakes.com. (YOU'VE BEEN WARNED: Please don't click on this.)

That's how I roll when I'm testing database driven pages.

regards,
YetAnotherWebMonkey

Old 11-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
Duff
Thanks Jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinsPop View Post
Having managed several development projects in the past, I can attest that sometimes you can test the snot outta something and things still go wrong. happens. To me, I think the speed that the problem is identified, fixed, and then not allowed to happen again is more important.
True, but if you have an appropriate test environment setup (which for a website should be an exact duplicate, code-wise) then it isn't that hard to prevent total shutdowns like this. Again, the key here is, there's a charge involved. Other wise, I'd absolutely agree, no biggie, it'll get fixed when it gets fixed.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
Rich Z
The problem is fixed, as far as I can tell. From what I understand my programmer was trying to implement the user count next to the chat link in the menu bar, but it was causing problems from every viewer calling that API with every page display. So it only showed up under load. So he took out the code when I alerted him of the problem. This may have to be implemented a different way. Probably a display at the bottom of the home page showing the members currently in chat or something of that nature.

As for running this in a test environment, yes, my programmer does that. But when issues are related to viewer loading, that is pretty much impractical to test off line. He also implements mods during the slowest time of day to try to catch things that don't show up in the test environment.

In my opinion, this is an acceptable way to do this.

And Duff, if you don't like the accountability here for your Contributor membership, let me know and we'll settle up. I was up till 4 am last night working on photos for updates on my SerpenCo site. As soon as I discovered the problem this morning, I contacted my programmer, and he took care of it immediately. If you believe your membership fee entitles you to demand I be here 24/7/365 at your beck and call, then perhaps you are expecting a bit much for your money. If you believe that what I provide here is just not good enough for YOU, just let me know.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #10
Duff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
And Duff, if you don't like the accountability here for your Contributor membership, let me know and we'll settle up. I was up till 4 am last night working on photos for updates on my SerpenCo site. As soon as I discovered the problem this morning, I contacted my programmer, and he took care of it immediately. If you believe your membership fee entitles you to demand I be here 24/7/365 at your beck and call, then perhaps you are expecting a bit much for your money. If you believe that what I provide here is just not good enough for YOU, just let me know.
Wow. That's a bit harsh. I never said any of the above. I will not apologize for having expectations for something I pay for. That's one reason I do not charge anything for my herp db app... I don't have the time or resources to provide the level of support that receiving payment would entail. If this is the way you treat paying customers, then yes, I would like to "settle up"

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google