CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Gain weight too fast?

Old 09-02-2015, 08:24 AM   #1
Drum_stix_12
Question Gain weight too fast?

Hello, I apologize that this is long. I've been in discussion with a couple different people about my snake, Focus. Thought I'd bring my questions to this awesome group, too. smile emoticon

Focus is a little over one year old. I got her as a 9 gram hatchling June 2014. She gained weight slowly at first and then suddenly shot up and has continued to pack on the weight and has grown considerably. Last week, I weighed her in at 205 grams! This came has a shock because about 3 months ago I posted a "Is my snake fat?" post and got some wonderful advice that helped me determine that she wasn't fat yet, but could become fat if I wasn't careful. On July 11th 2015, she weighed in at 175 grams. It was around June I moved her feeding schedule from every 10 days to every 3 weeks, per advice I was given. In that time, she gained 20 grams for a total weight of 205 grams in only a little over a month. In May 2015 she weighed only 121 grams. So this weight has been packing on FAST.

Here's what I am feeding her and how often: She has never had a mouse bigger than 15 grams. I *always* weigh her mice. Also, I never feed more than 1 mouse at a time, except for when she was on pinks. As a hatchling she was fed 1 pink every 5 days, then 2 pinks every 5 days. Moved on to fuzzies every 7 days and continued the every 7 day until a few months ago when I moved her to every 10 days. I always judged her bump size after feeding to determine if/when she was ready for a next size up. The past 6 weeks has been feeding every 3 weeks and has resulted in still more weight gain. Maybe she's holding on to the nutrients more since she is being fed less often?
So, what are you opinions? Do I just have a big snake? What could be the cause of such fast weight gain? Does anyone else have a snake that has gained weight like this? Thank you so much for any advice. If I got any dates mixed up or something doesn't add up, let me know and I'll look at her feeding history for exact dates and weights.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #2
sian.kelly
She doesn't look fat from the pictures so she might just be going through a growth spurt? If she's only just over a year old then she'll still be growing so it could just be growth.

I think every snake gains weight differently as well, so it could just be your snake growing very quickly at this time.

I am not an expert but I think it could just be a growth spurt. Long as your snake is 'bread loaf' shaped, I don't think you need to worry hope that helps a bit, however, we'll see what other people say as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
Jereme
Ya, she is gaining weight fast but seems she is not fat. Look at the bloodred in this thread thats fat. see how her scales look to be separated and tail looks like it's to small for her. You will see in the tail first. Your feed plan seems to be good, so just make sure you have her working out. How often does she shed?

http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=141711

Old 09-02-2015, 01:01 PM   #4
MysticExotics
They often hit a fast growth phase as juveniles, so that is not uncommon.
Some morphs are a little bigger, some are smaller. I've seen some big Amels and Snows, and Miami's (locality, not necessarily line-bred Miami phase) are generally on the smaller side.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:02 AM   #5
smigon
I think she is just a "husky girl" (sorry, I loved the show "Weeds"!) in her growth spurt. She looks healthy and happy, you have a good diet for her so I would continue feeding as you are and she should slow down at some point.

I have seen corns (all three of the same age) weighing 25g, 75g and 900g, some grow faster than others.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google