CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > All "Others" Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

All "Others" Photo Gallery It was suggested to me that a photo gallery for the other critters and interests might be useful to the membership. So here you go, Walt. :)

Milk toad?

Old 08-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
XenDrgn
Milk toad?

So my husband had to do a little work in the cable box to fix some lines and nestled in between the ones he needed to do was this big ole daddy. No idea what kind but I relocated him to a different part of the yard.

Old 08-29-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
jagodzinski
Even though I don't usually like frogs/toads - I will admit he is a pretty cool looking guy.

As for identification - my completely unexpert opinion formed by looking at picture of frogs and toads from florida suggests maybe is a Cuban Treefrog?

Picture: http://floridagardener.com/critters/CubanTreeFrog2.jpg

Old 08-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #3
Nanci
That was my thought, too. An invasive species that we are supposed to kill. I can't do it...I have at least one in my yard. They are supposed to eat all the natives, or out-compete them, but my yard is full of frog species- bullfrogs, pig frogs, bronze frogs, leopard frogs, squirrel frogs, green tree frogs, cricket frogs, southern toads and spade foot toads, at least.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #4
XenDrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
That was my thought, too. An invasive species that we are supposed to kill. I can't do it...I have at least one in my yard. They are supposed to eat all the natives, or out-compete them, but my yard is full of frog species- bullfrogs, pig frogs, bronze frogs, leopard frogs, squirrel frogs, green tree frogs, cricket frogs, southern toads and spade foot toads, at least.
Shortly after posting, I looked through a list of species of frogs in florida, and Ican confirm based on what I saw, read, and handled, that was a Cuban. He started white with these beautiful bright green on his inner thigh that quickly changed color to tan and then brown as he started getting agitated. (He was sleepy and just climbed on my hand at first, but once i started moving, he woke up and started trying to get away. Which he then tried to jump in my car that was open cause i was working on it. And.. I didn't want a frog in my car. So I had to chase him down and relocate him again.

And yes, I saw (after releasing and looking him up) that the Cuban's are supposed to be humanely euthanized because they are so invasive. And I'm from Orlando area which is the northern edge of their current known expansion meaning that to be a proper conservative I really should have. But.. I can't do that. (Which is why I didn't end up a Vet like I always wanted to). So he's back in my yard somewhere eating the lizards. (which are surviving well enough). Dunno about other frogs. There's usually plenty of peepers.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:06 PM   #5
Nanci
I'm in Gainesville, actually a little northwest, and we for sure have them here, especially in the city. Same with the brown anoles- they survive better in urban areas where it is warmer. That really cold winter we had a few years back killed all mine, and the greens have come back.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google