CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

Hopeful future snake parent

Old 09-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #1
Hikari
Smile Hopeful future snake parent

Hello everyone!
Figured I'd register here, since this seems like a great place for info. Currently researching what I'll need to get a snake tank set up. Never kept a reptile before, so there's a lot to learn. I've heard corn snakes make good first-time reptile pets, and they're pretty, so decided to aim for one of those. Plus, I think they're cute! Especially their little snakey noses.

I currently have a 40g breeder aquarium with a metal mesh top that'll need disinfected and fixed up a bit, the elderly mice that currently inhabit it will be moved, but they chewed the silicon up and it needs replaced. I think it should make a nice-sized home though. It was originally intended for a bearded dragon, but some stuff happened, and that never came to fruition. I am at a point where I think a snake would be a much better choice anyways (easier to care for properly too).

I know the shopping list so far is gonna include a heat mat, thermostat, some sort of substrate, things for the snake to hide in on each side, and a water dish big enough for soaking, and food (frozen mice) of course. Also something to keep the mesh top on the aquarium down (I haven't found decent clips, so I'm thinking of using strips of industrial-strength velco. That stuff's strong). I'll probably also look into getting a few things for the snake to climb on if it wants, and also maybe some sort of tank light for when the winter days get painfully short. I also need a table for the tank, it's currently on the floor, but I'm probably going to be commissioning my brother for that (he does woodworking as a hobby, and can make me a custom one at a reasonable price).

Once I get set up, there's a few reptile expos here in Ohio I'd like to try hitting up to actually buy a snake (there's one in Cleveland and one in Columbus...the one in Cincinnati is a little too far, sadly). I figure getting one from a breeder is probably a better option than the big box pet stores around here.

Anyways, I look forward to hanging out with everyone on here, researching, learning, and hopefully joining the ranks of having my own snake to care for sometime soon!

Old 09-01-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Dragonling
Hello from a fellow Buckeye! I have family up your way. Perhaps I'll see you at the Columbus show sometime, though I don't plan to go again til perhaps later in the year (weather permitting).

Old 09-01-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
Nanci
I'm not sure how many cornsnakes you're going to see at Columbus- but there will be a lot of ball pythons! (My boyfriend, Rich333, lives by Dayton, so I get up there pretty often.) I can't think of any breeders close to you. EXCEPT...Duxor??? He's in Cbus, I think. Not like that's close, but he has nice snakes!

Dragonling, we're pretty close to you, though- Park Layne...

Old 09-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
Dragonling
Aye, there are very few corns at the Columbus show. Perhaps some years from now I can help change that. I'm hoping to have some very special goodies to at least show off by then, even if they likely won't sell there. Cornsnakes.com Columbus get-together? Eh eh? We can grab some Raising Cane's after the show.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
Hikari
Nice to meet you all! Glad to see others from Ohio here!

Ah, that's disappointing that there aren't many corn snakes at the Columbus show. I guess I'll have to hope for some at the Cleveland expo, which is closer anyways (I'm in the NE part of the state).

Actually, considering how close I am to PA (only about a 15 min drive from the border), I could also check out some there too, like the Pittsburgh one. It's comparable in drive time as going to Columbus would be too. I just hope I wouldn't run into the problem of not seeing any corn snakes there either (although seeing all the other reptiles would be fun).

I'd just really like to avoid buying a pet store snake. You never quite know the quality of the animals from those places. I'm willing to put in at least a little drive time to avoid doing so if I can.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
Dragonling
If you can set aside a day to be home for delivery, ordering online from a good breeder is a decent option. Shipping is expensive though, so if you aren't planning to get a fancy morph, you'll probably find some of the basics at most shows. I saw a handful of normal, hypo, and anery babies at Columbus in August.

Do you know what kind of corn you're looking to get? I work at Reptiles by Mack in Xenia, and sometimes we get some really unusual babies. Maybe we've got something up your alley.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Hikari
I don't really have any particular color in mind, but from pictures I've looked up, I seem to gravitate towards the albino coloration (that bright red-orange is gorgeous). Usually when picking pets, I tend to look for one I "click" with though, so I've ended up with pets a different color than what I was originally looking for, lol. At least with my betta fish. That's why I prefer to see them in person before I buy. I might end up picking a snake of a completely different color just because it has a cool scale pattern or something.

Actually though, since I've never been to an expo yet, do people tend to sell babies or adults? Or both maybe? I just realized an adult snake would probably be a lot more expensive than what I'd be budgeting out for one ($50).

Old 09-01-2015, 06:52 PM   #8
Nanci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
Aye, there are very few corns at the Columbus show. Perhaps some years from now I can help change that. I'm hoping to have some very special goodies to at least show off by then, even if they likely won't sell there. Cornsnakes.com Columbus get-together? Eh eh? We can grab some Raising Cane's after the show.
That would be fun!

Old 09-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #9
DollysMom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
I don't really have any particular color in mind, but from pictures I've looked up, I seem to gravitate towards the albino coloration (that bright red-orange is gorgeous). Usually when picking pets, I tend to look for one I "click" with though, so I've ended up with pets a different color than what I was originally looking for, lol. At least with my betta fish. That's why I prefer to see them in person before I buy. I might end up picking a snake of a completely different color just because it has a cool scale pattern or something.

Actually though, since I've never been to an expo yet, do people tend to sell babies or adults? Or both maybe? I just realized an adult snake would probably be a lot more expensive than what I'd be budgeting out for one ($50).
I knew I wanted a normal and that's what I got, but not before falling in love with him when I saw him. I'm right with you on that one.

I did get mine at Petsmart. I had originally planned to buy mail order. And then I went to the store for some aquarium plants. And then I saw "the one". And I couldn't leave the store without my snake. Yes, when you see the snake that is yours, you will know it. I love my scale baby to pieces.

I have no doubt that if you go to shows and look, you too will find "the one", adult or juvenile, amel or other. Best wishes in your search.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:37 AM   #10
IrishInIsengard
Welcome, Hikari!

I lucked into getting a good snake. My co-worker was looking to re-home his 6-month-old snake once his son got sick. I was told he was bitey and hides all the time, and he wanted the snake to go to a good home where he can get the attention and handling to calm him down. I bonded with him almost immediately just off of a few cruddy cell phone pictures. I signed up here (best decision I could have made) and brought him home.

Well, he's never struck at me and explores plenty. He's super calm. I'm glad that he doesn't feel threatened or scared with me around. I guess that's his way of bonding with me.

Long story short, if you bond with the snake, you're probably more likely to get a good snake. You are already prepared to get a corn snake, which is 95% of the battle. If you see a little baby and you have a good feeling about him/her, trust your gut.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google