• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cheap Housing...

Serpwidgets

The black clips keep the residents from prying their way out. They are super-strong clips used to bind large amounts of paper together. If you've ever worked in an office, you know what they are. :)
RoversHouse02.jpg

These seem quite a bit better than similar-sized stuff by sterilite and other brands. As you can see, it only cost me $2 per box. :)
RoversHouse03.jpg

Just a little question.....
why did you use it upside down instead of the right side up?
Is there a difference between that.....except for the clips of course....other than the clips being easier to clip on....no difference right?

I think that by putting it upside down the snake has no way to "push up the lid and escape" like many others do or have done in the past.
I think this is brilliant! I'm fililng this away in my brain for future use...

No need to push up the lid, they could pry the (white opaque) lid enough to get out without lifting anything. That's where the clips come in. :)

I put this one upside down because Rover loves to roam around, and is often out and about even in the day. Hence the name Rover. :)

I hope this isn`t their real housing. It´s way to small and I don´t know how hot it is in your house. I need a heatsource to keep the temps right.
I use those boxes for my mice.

Gr. Jersme

Last edited:
What's wrong with rubbermaids as enclosures?

I always heard that they are a great, cheap, easy to clean, easy to secure enclosure for a corn. I have my 01 in a rubbermaid about that size. She's only 18 inches long and it's definately not too small for her. I will probably get a bigger one eventually, the biggest one I can find, just to give her as much space as possible. Am I wrong? I thought alot of people on here used rubbermaids (or something similar).

1- Rubbermaids for snakes are great. Alot of people use them. Ive always heard at least 2/3s as long as the snake,or long enough for the snake to stretch out around three sides.
2.-Rubbermaids stink for rodents. Ive tried it myself as well as at the science center where i used to work. We had around fifty breeding pairs of mice and thirty of rats. Even though we had the extra thick, specifically for rodents use plastic cages, they STILL chewed through and escaped constantly. We eventually switched to all glass with the screen tops.

Great Idea!

the only thing I was wondering is about ventilation??
I cant see any air holes in the tubs in the pictures,
are there any?

Ares,
the holes are on the side of the tub. Look at the first picture and you'll find the holes for air ventilation.

I hate the word cheap if your talking about animals. I always think what´s the best for my animals, instead of what´s cheap.

Jersme

Last edited:
Time for new housing!

I can't imagine housing my snakes in such little plastic containers!! Like what was said earlier, I think of what is BEST for my animals, not what is cheap and on sale. I saved and prepared before I bought my 2 corns and 1 ball python, custom built enclosures with sliding glass fronts that could be wheeled around my house. I'm sorry, but I whole-heartedly do not recommend using rubbermaid tubs. Ventilation can't be all that good, even with those little holes. In any case, a nice glass tank with mesh lid will not cost more than $50 at petco... so how much is your snake worth to you? $2? Come on. :mad:

Last edited:
the length guide i was given for suitable housing for the corns was that you know it's time to upgrade when the snake can stretch out along the full length and half way up one side...

this is why my 40 inch beasty is in need of a new home.. !! and that means i can buy another little one to put in the current viv..

yeah !

on on the argument of cheap and good.. I'm with the good... yes corns do seem ok with a bit of bog roll and a water tub on a bed of paper... but c'mon.. that sucks.. put some effort into it...

wait a minute

I for one use rubbermaids. But you are lumping them all together.

My rubbermaids are 40 inches long, I believe 16-17 inches wide...thats HUGE compared to the tanks I have seen people keeping them in. My ventilation is excellent, and my snakes are thriving. I am also able to keep the tub SPOTLESS and practically sterile, unlike tanks which I had to srcub for hours because of the seals and what not. Not to mention the heaviness.

And BTW tanks provide WORSE ventilation that tubs! True ventilation needs air holes at both sides, a good lay out is some holes near the bottom on one side, and more near the top on another side. If you don't think so go ask the Green Tree Python & Emerald Tree Boa keepers at corallus.com...ventilation is key for them and tanks don't provide it. Period.

So please don't generalize. I agree that is fairly small. But not all us "rubbermaid" users have the exact same thing.

bmm

rubbermaid rocks! no denying it, sorry for those who think they have to buy the most expensive stuff out there, sheesh i totally agree with bmm on this one, rubbermaid is large,cheap,customizable, it not like your keeping a big corn in one those small rubbermaids forever, yes you will have to give them a bigger one later on, jersme, UCSB robert. :cool:

also

Yeah and having "custom" doors makes NO differance to the snake. It makes a differance to YOU. If my rubbermaids are larger, more ventilated and cleaner than a custom enclosure (which they are as they can be sterile, wood and plexi cant' if it even has ONE scratch) ...does that mean that in fact they are worse because they don't have custom doors? HAHAHA That makes no sense.

bmm

heat

Hi!!!

How can I use the heat for these housing and what type the good for these? Thank you for your time Andi

serpwidgets

I love Biglots!!!!

I buy tons of rubbermaid stuff from them too! I tend to crack my tubs when I drill holes through them so i don't feel so bad when I crack $2 tubs instead of $10 ones from Wal-Mart or Target...

I like to buy clay pots from them and then crack them inhalf and sand them a little to make natural looking hides that hold heat well...

Rock on BigLots!!!

PS the tupperware looks to me, to be the right size, plus if you're like me you like to handle your snakes often and this also provides good stretching time too... but that's my humble opinion and I know some may not agree with me

I use what you would call rubbermaids for my younger snakes (they are all separated now) and have the adult male in a glass aquarium type tank. Now as much as I wouldn't like to say i go for the cheap option, sometimes it can't even be an issue. Not everyone can afford custom built tanks, but my snakes are still worth alot to me. Me and my mum are planning to convert our box room to a 'snake room' and put in custom built tanks but I'll always keep youngsters in rubbermaids. they are way more secure than *most* larger vivs (hatchlings seem to be able to escape through invisible holes! :rolleyes: ), and are much easier to clean. Pretzel has been in his glass viv for ages now and ventilation doesn't seem to be a prob, I'll do an 02 test to check but I'm pretty sure he'd be belly up if ventilation became a problem :confused:

Hey Missymonkey.......

I've cracked a few tubs myself when drilling. Something I've found to work better and faster with no sharp burrs is using a straight soldering iron. Just heat it up and push it through where you want the hole. Just remember to do it outside or in a well ventillated area (big stink!).

Andi...

You use heat tape or heat pads with the rubbermaids. You just have to make sure that the rubbermaid is lifted up a bit or you get a thermostat/rheostat (I can never remember what those things are called) to turn down the heat or it usually gets too hot.

Back