• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Info on actching wild snakes

Dang you're quick Kathy! LOL No, I'm talking about the northern part of Krome Ave where they were having riots back then. Late 80's early 90's. I used to go camping out SR 84 to Alligator Alley when I was younger and wish I could go back now that I'm not TERRIFIED of snakes! LOL The only snakes I remember seeing were cottonmouths. I did take a tour of our property today, since they are cutting down a tree farm next to it, I figured they may have disturbed some hibernating snakes, but saw nothing. I'm really disturbed by the whole thing, it's about 100 acres they are cutting, and soooo many creatures are losing their homes, or have been killed by the equipment. We always saw tons of box turtles coming out of there in the spring. And I actually got to witness an albino deer that I have heard was around here for the last 9 yrs or so. Apparently it lived in that tree farm and got run out because it was in my front field this morning! I couldn't believe it! The most beautiful snow white doe. Even though I didn't find any hibernating herps, it was worth it.

It seems a shame...

to see all of the development, but if it is just not worthwhile to operate a farm (tree or any kind), then I guess it will go by the wayside to make room for more people (we never seem to run out of people, lol!)

We used to think our 20 acres would be an oasis for wildlife, but as development began to surround us, we realized that most wildlife needs a lot more than what we have to offer. We don't see nearly as many species now as we did when we first moved here in 1990. Just the way it is, I guess.

It certainly is a shame, and to think of the way things will be 20 years from now is really sad. Extinction of many native species is just around the corner folks. :crying:

Another tip for finding young corns is to look for stumps and downed trees. Peel bark and dig through rotting wood. Much piles can be promising, too, but you will find more ringneck and Decaky's snakes in them here in the Southeast. Just learn the venomous species of the area you will be hunting, and you'll be fine. For the sake of habitat, when you roll logs or move stones, try to put them back where you found them, btw.

Yeah, dont want to be picking up a coral snake thinking it's a scarlet king---that would be very bad.

Back