• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

2 corns in 1 cage

Not eating for 6 wks plus months of on-again, off-again WILL create a huge size difference. She was 12 grams at the beginning of this year. She's growing apace with my 08s now. This means she is growing pretty quickly.

I truely am happy she is eating again, and growing. she is really pretty, and I dont want to offend. I should just keep my tongue. But this is one of those subjects that people get so passionate about. They tend to run people away from the site. I just dont want that to happen. I have learned so much from the site and I know others will to.

Edit: I am not saying co-habbing is not a contribiting factor to her size. But that it "may" not/ more than likely not the only factor in her not eating. You said yourself after the co-habbing she was on again and off again. Which could of been some other factor there.

Truely I am glad she is growing again and eating well for you.

Like I admitted, she is a very nervous snake to begin with. She's getting better and I've been able to handle her for a while now without her going off her food for a couple weeks. With her temperment, she would have starved to death in the wild even were she not a snow. :/

I think I am lucky. I dont have any nervous snakes like that. Yet. Thank you for understanding my post. Just like Beth and you, I get passionate about certain subjects.

The temperment of mine range from "you're so mellow are you dead???" to a Ruby level of "gonna KEEL YOO!". Feeding time is interesting in my house.

LMAO.... Mine just come out when I flick on the lights. I dont have any that want to "Keel You" but Most pop out and say "Hey wheres my food?" even when it is not feeding day.

Wow this thread is the longest thread about something that would be really easy just realise it is a bad idea! Are we done now?

Yes, I know...I am too much a mouth for my own good sometimes. Newbies who have heard that co habbing is fine...well...I try my best to be kind, and nice, and instructive. The LAST thing I want to do is run anyone off this site. It is those that know the risks, know what can happen, and don't care that really grind my gears.
They go off to school, or work, ..they go to movies or out to eat...they live their lives...while their snakes are trying to cope with constant stress and unwanted companionship 24/7 in a situation that they are stuck in with no relief......well, you know!

And KINGSRULE...you have a Florida King? What type? And would you post pics?
I have a patternless goini girl named Maytag. I love her to pieces!!!!

The temperment of mine range from "you're so mellow are you dead???" to a Ruby level of "gonna KEEL YOO!". Feeding time is interesting in my house.

LOL!!! Most of mine are mellow like that. But my avalanche baby is so intent on "keeling me" that she sometimes forgets that the food is that. She just gives me the evil eye and strikes repeatedly...

Vanay will gobble her food down so she can spend more time striking at me through the feed box. And at 20 grams, the bites are just starting to sting a little... I'm honestly thinking wussie gloves are in my future.

Yes, I know...I am too much a mouth for my own good sometimes. Newbies who have heard that co habbing is fine...well...I try my best to be kind, and nice, and instructive. The LAST thing I want to do is run anyone off this site. It is those that know the risks, know what can happen, and don't care that really grind my gears.
They go off to school, or work, ..they go to movies or out to eat...they live their lives...while their snakes are trying to cope with constant stress and unwanted companionship 24/7 in a situation that they are stuck in with no relief......well, you know!

And KINGSRULE...you have a Florida King? What type? And would you post pics?
I have a patternless goini girl named Maytag. I love her to pieces!!!!

I will post one tonight or tom!

Vanay will gobble her food down so she can spend more time striking at me through the feed box. And at 20 grams, the bites are just starting to sting a little... I'm honestly thinking wussie gloves are in my future.

I use wussy gloves now! I am not afraid the bites will hurt, but I do not want to be startled enough to drop a baby, so I use em.

And KINGS, I would love to see yours!

I've been bit by a yearling, and thanks to my job I don't startle and drop things. In fact, I laugh when the tiny ones try to bite because it feels like gently touching velcro.

Really

I was at the Petco today to buy cat supplies. They had two hatchlings coexisting. They did NOT look happy. One was an anery of some sort & the other was a Blizzard or a Snow (I am not sure of the correct terms, the snake had pink saddles & was otherwise white). The anery was restlessly trying to do the escaping-baby thing. It didn't look like a good situation to me. Needless to say I was trying to figure out how to rescue one of them. The anery looked vigorous & bright-eyed so I was thinking that's the one to rescue. They want $40 for it. No idea if it's a male or female. I know, I know, don't get store-bought corns, but I already have a plastic box viv, all sorts of plastic bowls that could be used as hides & waterbowls, substrate, etc. All I'd need is a UTH & some pinkies. Do hatchlings eat whole pinkies or half-pinkies?

Blessed be,
B
proud parent of Humphrey

Really, do you really think that of snakes. What you saw in the tank at the store was normal snake behaviour, they climb and try to escape all the time. It's sad to think that you like to put human behaviour into a snakes way of thinking. What you might have read about cohabit ways, you dont agree with it so you think and project human feelings when dealing with animals. Snakes usally just chill, eat, sleep, poop and explore. Regardless if there is another snake in close proximity. Did you ask if they were from the same clutch if so they have no problem with eachother. Like I said when someone puts human feelings into a snake and believes they must save it "Your crazy".

So lets not think that snakes have feelings like us, they eat, explore, try to escape, drink, burrow, sleep and poop. Thats it nothing else they are reptiles and they think like reptiles "not humans".........

While it is true that snakes don't think like people do, and attributing human emotions to snakes is folly, to say that clutchmates have no problem with each other is pure unadulterated CRAP.
Snakes are SOLITARY animals.
Snakes don't like other snakes PERIOD.
Whether or not they are clutchmates has NOTHING to do with it!!

Really, do you really think that of snakes. What you saw in the tank at the store was normal snake behaviour, they climb and try to escape all the time. It's sad to think that you like to put human behaviour into a snakes way of thinking. What you might have read about cohabit ways, you dont agree with it so you think and project human feelings when dealing with animals. Snakes usally just chill, eat, sleep, poop and explore. Regardless if there is another snake in close proximity. Did you ask if they were from the same clutch if so they have no problem with eachother. Like I said when someone puts human feelings into a snake and believes they must save it "Your crazy".

So lets not think that snakes have feelings like us, they eat, explore, try to escape, drink, burrow, sleep and poop. Thats it nothing else they are reptiles and they think like reptiles "not humans".........

Did you ask if they were from the same clutch if so they have no problem with eachother. Like I said when someone puts human feelings into a snake and believes they must save it "Your crazy".

So how does being clutchmates affect the cohab issue? Are you trying to say that the snakes will know and prefer their siblings?

Animals get stressed. This is well documented. Stress leads to shortened lifespans and in snakes can lead to feeding problems as well.

My god this is a hsubandry nightmare! Dude you have got it so wrong. Sure snakes don't think like people but the reason co-habbing is bad is because oh i don't know how bout disease transfer. But I am guessing disease don't transfer with snkae because they are not human right? And clutch mates really. Is snake A is brothers with snake B and they are being kept together and snake A has Crypto snake B can't get it because Snake A is his brother! Wow just wow. What has the herp world come to Beth!

Well, I subsequently bought one of the hatchlings, whom I am calling 'Attitude'. He or she is much calmer now. Still very flighty with handling, but no agitated behavior in the viv. Gets out & explores, cruises on feeding days. I wasn't assuming I knew or know what Attitude was feeling. I sure can't tell, and assumption = anthropomorphism. I only know that Attitude is probably safer now, and that's good enough for me. As for "must save it" it wasn't so much that as that I ~could~. Ever seen the thing about the guy throwing stranded starfish from the beach back into the water. Somebody says something like "What difference does it make?" The guy replies that it makes a difference for the ones he can throw back.

Cyclone

Like I said when someone puts human feelings into a snake and believes they must save it "Your crazy".

Do you take the time to think before you type? Really, could you be any more ignorant. Just because someone may associate human emotion with reptiles does not mean they are "crazy" but instead it often means they really care about their animals(any type), as more than just a "token" pet. Yes reptiles do not think and feel the same way humans do BUT they do experience "feelings" of a sort. Stress, fear, hunger, aggression etc. all things we feel, but they feel them on a more instinctual level.

I my opinion it may be your crass ignorance(lack of knowledge that you have amply shown through out this post) that causes you to believe that reptile have no from of feeling at all. It makes you feel that they can not become stressed, it may be why you do not understand that reptiles(like people) have varied personalities(temperaments). Thus the more nervous or shy snake, when forced to cohab with another snake is put at risk(health wise). Something that your lack of empathy(understanding) toward snakes(reptiles in general) prevents you from believing exists or seeing the signs of. Just because the snakes in your care have not fallen prey to cannibalism, or illness(yet) as a result of cohabbing, you can not know if they are under stress in manner which is weakening their immune system, therefore putting them at risk for future illness, growth problems or a shortened life span(just to mention 3 of the very subtle possible risks).

The difference between people like you and people like wstphal is that they are more attuned to their animals and will most likely notice subtle differences in behaviour and personality that will tip them off to possible problems before someone like you would(cohabbed or not).

Back