• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

The Rough Life of a Turtle

airenlow

hope is not a strategy
I found this girl all tangled in fishing line. As if her life wasn't hard enough already! She cleaned up nicely though...

DSC_0725.jpg

DSC_0731-1.jpg

DSC_0734.jpg

DSC_0733-1.jpg

DSC_0735-1.jpg

DSC_0717.jpg

Nice! I always like a good deed on a beautiful fall day.

Yeah, I was thinking I only saw nubs in the two face shots, but the piece of bark in that first pic threw me off, too, lol. Just goes to show how resilient these animals are... To lose both front feet and still manage to thrive as a wild turtle. Awesome post. Thank you for sharing, Josh. :)

This should be posted in all fishing forums as a reminder to why it is important to pick up your line if it breaks, or if you change it out...

This should be posted in all fishing forums as a reminder to why it is important to pick up your line if it breaks, or if you change it out...
I get so mad, every time Mick and I go fishing we find line, hooks, weights all left in tangles. Of course you can always have a big fish break your line in an accident, but most of the time how we find it it's obvious it's been dumped and left behind by people who just don't care how dangerous it is for wildlife

I get so mad, every time Mick and I go fishing we find line, hooks, weights all left in tangles. Of course you can always have a big fish break your line in an accident, but most of the time how we find it it's obvious it's been dumped and left behind by people who just don't care how dangerous it is for wildlife

It is one of the reasons that it is getting harder and harder to go fishing around here, other than being in a desert. No one wants someones lines or beer cans left on their property down by the river.

I once found a duckling caught in some fishing line. It actually had a fish hook in it too. I managed to free it and luckily the rest of the duck family was still around and the little guy took off like a bullet towards them.

That's such a cute turtle, thanks for untangling it. :)

Ouch! Turtles are true survivors and I admire them for that.

A few years ago I was herping in Northern California and I saw this Fence Lizard that was running kind of funny. It turns out that both its back feet had been burned off in a fire, though it seemed to be carrying out its life as "normal" as possible.

burnlizard.jpg

I had two of my box turtles maimed by a neighbor's dog years ago. I use to keep them in an outside enclosure in my backyard during the summer. The fencing was buried 3ft deep to keep the turtles from digging out and it was 5ft above ground with netting on top to keep everything else out. Obviously this was not enough for a determined dog. He jumped the fence and then chewed a hole in the netting. Once he caught each turtle he chewed their legs off. Luckily he only caught two. When I found them each was missing two legs. One lost both on the right side of her body. The other lost alternating front and back. After cleaning lots of maggots out of the wounds, trimming bone and ragged skin, I was able to suture what was left and administer antibiotics. It was touch and go for about a month but they made a full recovery. And seemed no worse for the wear. I made rollers that I epoxied to their plastron so they could get around easier. They are tough little creatures!

I'm glad you found her and helped Josh. That's no way to go through life. I bet she would say thanks if she could.

Terri

Back