CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Rat Snake ID Needed

Old 01-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #11
Nanci
I can't help myself...

Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
Suzy
That's interesting! The saddles look off for a Corn, and the head shape is different, but it still screams Corn to me. Maybe Robbie is right, and it's a Corn/Yellow or Corn/Glades intergrade. I'm leaning toward Corn/Yellow Rat, as the shape of the head seems similar to a Yellow Rat.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
airenlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbiesCornField View Post
Could be a corn x glades or corn x yellow. But it definitely looks like it does have corn in it!
I didn't think a zoo would have a hybrid, so I was looking elsewhere. Maybe that's why it didn't have a more specific label...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
I thought the corn was obvious enough that you must have been talking about the Cotton Mouth.
It didn't, and still doesn't, strike me as being full corn. And if it is, the location given on the label was pretty far off. Which wouldn't surprise me either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
I can't help myself...
Too funny, Nanci!

Old 01-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
Suzy
I would like to change my answer. I'm thinking it's full Everglades Rat. This one has a similar pattern, which makes me think that one in the picture might be younger. You can also see a similar pattern on a hatchling here, and the coloration on the top right picture here looks identical to the second picture you posted. The head shape is also very similar.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
airenlow
Thanks Suzy! I had only found pics of stripey Everglades rats...

What does everybody else think?

Old 01-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
RobbiesCornField
I dunno... given his size, he definitely looks like an adult. It could be a 'Glades rat that just kept some of the saddles instead of going stripey. I'm sure Kathy would be able to provide an excellent answer.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #17
vetusvates
I agree with Suzy and Robbie. The wide puffy jaws look kind of funny though, like he has the mumps.
As far as girth goes, he/she looks much more nearer to what exists in the wild than CB snakes. I.e., more exercise, less eating. (The opposite of sedentary.)
I have caught at least one large cottonmouth, years ago, with a texas rat tail hanging out of his mouth. Looks like the corn is keeping his distance, huh?

Old 01-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #18
Nanci
The puffy jaw looks more to me like some disease process rather than a natural condition of that snake.

Old 01-02-2010, 04:31 PM   #19
ratsncorns
Why were they housing a rat snake and cottonmouth together?

Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #20
airenlow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsncorns View Post
Why were they housing a rat snake and cottonmouth together?
No idea. Most were separated by region. I asked about a couple display pairings and the tour guide claimed they worked because one species was arboreal while the other was ground dwelling. I don't think any others were in danger of being eaten though...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google