• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Help! Places to buy better food for my snake?

sherriclue

Hi!

So far I've been feeding my corn snake pinkies from Petco/Petsmart. But I don't know if pet store food (especially from Petsmart) is the best quality? They also come in 3 per pack for $5.69.

A breeder told me that paying $5.69 for 3 pinkies was way over priced and that he buys a big pack (100 pinkies) for 20 dollars at reptile shows.

Can anyone tell me where I can buy better quality pinkies (online or at another location). Or perhaps tell me where you buy mice for your snake?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I have been really happy with the mice I've been ordering from Layne Labs. Clean, good sized, healthy mice for good prices (imo). They also allow you to order in smaller quantities which is handy as all 3 of mine are different sizes. Their shipping prices (for me) are decent also...I'm not sure how much it would be to ship to you though, they are based in California. I'm sure others will chime in on this and there may be another company to order from on the east coast (I'm just not sure)

i never had any trouble with the quality, but the pricing can be a lil frustrating if you can find cheaper. i buy from a mouse dealer in Washington heights and i'd be happy to PM you his contact info. Goes by Mike Hano. We also have an expo in white plains coming up on the 7th. :)

That would be wonderful obboi34! Does he ship them to you or do you go to pick them up?

I live in Maryland, but I go to school in New York for most of the year, so that would be very convenient.

I use Layne Labs as well. I have found their prices to be very good and their product as well.
All the mice come frozen completely and their feet are even tucked so the snake can eat um easier.

Also they have a policy of making sure that their animals are taken care of and humanely euthed using CO2 so that not only does the animal live its short life very well but you get a much healthier product.

I wouldn't trust petsmart mice as if they come from the same kind of place they get their live animals then who knows what problems they may have that could harm your snake.

If you are looking at a local breeder make sure they have healthy animals that are not crowded or kept in bad conditions where they may get sick and are fed properly and that they euth using a CO2 chamber so that your snake gets the best food available.

Also I HIGHLY suggest you invest in a vacupack machine. If you buy in bulk then you will want to vacuum seal your extras so they do not go bad in the freezer.

Ordering mice for one snake isn't usually worth it. Look for a local herp club or breeder to buy from/go in on an order with.

I agree with the idea that big chain pet stores probably have feeder quality that reflects their pet quality. I only have one snake, and he's young so he's on a more frequent feed schedule, and I pick up frozen pinks when the reptile expo is back in New York, which is about every two months. See if you can get on board with that, it's a much better solution than Petsmart. (25 small pinks for $10 when I was there last)

Thanks guys! I was able to get in contact with the breeder who sold me my snake, and he said that I can just buy some mice off of him :)

Back