CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Family of wild baby corns left a present

Old 09-21-2014, 11:20 PM   #1
Talane
Family of wild baby corns left a present

Well since getting a corn of my own has been delayed for a bit due to financial reasons, here's something a little more uplifting!

We are staying at my in-law's place tonight and my father in-law called me outside this evening to see a baby snake on a chair right outside their house. I identified it as a little baby corn. (Sadly they had one similar to it crawl into their AC unit where it got all chopped up.)
I watched the little guy crawl away into the bed of lava rocks and almost jumped back when I saw around 10 long white things there. Turns out he and some of his friends decided to use the lava rocks and this nice moist night to shed. This is the first time I've seen so many snake sheds in one place!

Old 09-22-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
HerpsOfNM
check for eggs around the area. I'd bet they hatched, bunkered down, and then started to disburse once they did post-hatching shed.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:57 AM   #3
Talane
I looked around a little and didn't see any eggs, but I did find what looks like a little den opening leading under the house that has seen some recent use. I'll check more tomorrow in the daylight when I can see better

Old 09-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
Talane
Alright, the little hole leading under the house seems to be where they came out from. I found little snake marks in the dirt there. They all came around the house the same way, all the skins were headed away from the hole. Hopefully they didn't go too far, I'd love to see these little guys around every now and then!

Old 09-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
vetusvates
Great story.

Wild corns under the house--lucky!!!

Old 09-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Talane
If only my in-laws shared that sentiment! I don't think I'll be seeing any corns around outside my house considering I saw a black racer out there not too long ago

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google