CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

View Poll Results: Are corn snakes diurnal, crepuscular or nocturnal ?
Diurnal 1 4.55%
Crepuscular 10 45.45%
Nocturnal 7 31.82%
Opportunistic 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Corn Snakes are ________ ? Poll

Old 11-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
daddio207
Corn Snakes are ________ ? Poll

I'm find myself wondering why people who keep corn snakes think they are either diurnal, crepuscular or nocturnal. Even amongst the most prominent corn experts there seems to be no consciences.
Most, I believe, base their opinion on what they have read from others. Some, I hoping at least, base it on actual field observations. Others, like me, through research, make an educated guess.
So, do you think Corn Snakes are diurnal, crepuscular or nocturnal ?
I added opportunistic with this thought, depending on location, it seems to me that corn snakes will take whatever opportunity to feed and find warmth. In the south corn snakes can hunt and digest their meals in the safety of the night. As you go north corn snakes might tend to hunt and thermo regulate more during the dawn and dusk hours. A cooler then normal summer might cause them to do more basking during the day.

From the National Zoo "Corn snakes are primarily diurnal."
From SMR "corns are naturally nocturnal"
From BHB "corn snakes are diurnal" stated in a YouTube video.

It seems that any reptile that does not require UV radiation is thought to be nocturnal. When I consider the actions of lizards that I keep compared to the snakes I can see the nocturnal lizards are only active during the night and the diurnal lizards are sound asleep where as the snakes can be active day or night.
Through evolution corn snakes have evolved to be mainly nocturnal but will be opportunistic in its need to thermo regulate ?

So what do you think and why?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
Chip
Growing up in corn snake country, I caught a lot of them as a kid. Once in a while, we found them basking or out in the daytime, but the vast majority of daytime finds were by looking under something. If a corn snake was caught getting into the chicks or anything like that, it always happened at night. Same with finding them on the road, virtually always after dark. I'd lean nocturnal/crepuscular, but weather, hunger, and searching for mates probably trump that. In colder climates, it makes sense they would take more advantage of the warm hours for hunting, I can only speak for the Carolinas. No "all of the above" option?

Old 11-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Nanci
I've found two wild corns. One was out, in light rain, in the late morning. The other was under brush, in the morning. A neighbor found a mating pair in his driveway, early morning.

In my home, I'd say they are mostly not diurnal, unless they sense impending feeding, which they are very good at. They are awake when I wake up before dawn, and start becoming active after dark.

I guess I'd say crepuscular/nocturnal, plus opportunistic.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #4
Tavia
I'd always been told they are crepsucular, so that's what I've always told anyone who asks me. From my own observations of our captive ones, I'd agree with what Nanci said.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
daddio207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip View Post
No "all of the above" option?
I almost did !

I think I should of added the option " Diurcrepusculocturnal "

Old 11-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
smigon
I wanted an "all of the above" choice too! I have to say nocturnal/crepuscular.

Old 11-04-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
hypnoctopus
I haven't ever seen a corn snake in the wild, so I have no experience with that. Most of mine become active in the evening and sometimes later at night. I voted for crepuscular, as in evening/early morning, but I don't think I've ever seen my corns active during the early morning. However, I am usually not up early, so maybe they are! Only one of my snakes is often active during the day (and also the evening). All my others spend most of the day hiding.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
Nanci
You know what I think is cool...when you have racks of babies in your bedroom, and you can hear them tapping around in the middle of the night!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
WingedSweetheart
Wasn't sure what to choose. So I just chose nocturnal since mine seem the most active at night time. However I have seem them out during the day.

I've never been around wild corn snakes.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #10
gelshark
I was looking for the option that said, "Really FREAKIN' COOL!"
It seems to fit the sentence perfectly to me.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google