CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Natural History/Field Observation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Natural History/Field Observation Field observations of corn snakes, field collecting, or just general topics about the natural environment they are found in.

Common garter snake (and I am in the bite club! PICS!)

Old 08-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
spyderk
Common garter snake (and I am in the bite club! PICS!)

I took my youngest to an appointment yesterday, and Serena (my 3rd child, going on 8) stayed behind with my friend and the rest of her children. I came back and Serena had a bandaid on her finger, and she asked me how I thought she got it. Then she uncovered a plastic jar with Saran wrap on top, sealed by a rubber band. She said, "I caught a garter! And it BIT me!" She showed me the little bite mark, and told the story, which goes as follows.

"I was walking with my rooster, trying to feed it, and I was the first one outside and then I see this gliding thing, smoothing through the grass. So I just dropped my chicken and I go after the snake. I grab it's tail to see what kind it was. It was a garter. So I tried to pick it up like a venomous snake, and it bit me. It got away. I grabbed its tail again, and then it bit me again and I was holding as long as I could but it hurt so bad that I flinged it around in circles. It let go. It fell in the grass. I picked it up closely by the tail, not too far away from its vent. I put it in the jar and tied the rubber band around it. The end."

The facial expressions during the story are priceless. She told my friend that she thinks she needs more snake training, because she picked it up just like Jeff Corwin but it still bit her!

After she showed me the snake, she ran outside to play with the chickens again. I was holding my friend's new baby (who is not even a week old) and I notice that the jar is empty. I looked on the table and saw it slithering through their clean laundry and other things. For a second I thought about grabbing for it with one hand, but then didn't want to risk it pooping on the baby in my other arm, so I called for the oldest kid to grab the baby so I could grab the snake. I grabbed the garter before it made it off the table, and it wrapped and pooped like no tomorrow. After that, it decided that biting might do the trick, so it probably bit me 5 times. I told my friend to grab the camera and her kids were amazed that I didn't care that it was biting me and that I wanted pictures before it let go! I was telling them to look at how ridiculous it looked, this tiny little snake trying to scare me off. Eventually he gave up and hasn't bit since. He does musk every time you get him out, though. I'll probably let him go across the lake later on today.

Unfortunately Serena was pretty freaked out by the bite, and was even afraid to hold Lucifer today, though I talked her into it and she's fine with Luce now. She tells me that she really wants to hold Whisper (the garter) but something in her won't let her pick him up. She did hold him briefly today, but she got scared and put him back. I told her that she cannot fling the snake around if it bites, and that picking up a snake, especially a wild one, means that you have to be somewhat prepared for a bite. It's funny to think that it was a garter bite from a snake that size when I was Serena's age that made me fearful to pick up wild snakes, and I hadn't picked one up until last year with that huge garter. The idea of getting bit is much more scary than the actual bite. She is proud that she caught her first snake, though. Hopefully she'll try again!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
That is so cute! I've only ever caught one garter snake when I was like 10 or so (it was a bit bigger than yours) and it was a calm and tame as could be. I really didn't want to let it go!

Great pictures and story!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
spyderk
This is the garter that we caught last year. This one was really docile!

Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #4
spyderk
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnoctopus View Post
That is so cute! I've only ever caught one garter snake when I was like 10 or so (it was a bit bigger than yours) and it was a calm and tame as could be. I really didn't want to let it go!

Great pictures and story!
I remember when I was a kid, after holding many garters that didn't bite, when I finally did get bit - I was so surprised! It's like I actually thought they don't bite because I had never been bit before.

Thanks for replying!

Old 12-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
anerythristic/okeete
i wish i had caught the one that bit me last summer it kept getting away every time i picked it up, it escaped under the porch

Old 12-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
Myca
It reminds me of the time my friend and I came home from shopping and her kid pulled a very pretty coral snake out of his pocket he had found. I figured the kid must have more lives than a cat.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
Shaggy
We've had a few garter snake encounters where we're at. I can see my younger kids doing about the same as your kids!
The little garters are OK, but fearful, the big ones we've caught were downright nasty. Must be tough life here
We also have ring neck snakes and worm snakes that either musk immediately or panic. Not nearly as sweet as our young corn. Of course, that's why the corn snake is a pet and living the life of indoor luxury, and the other snakes are banished to take their chances on garden pest duty

Old 12-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
mattsnake
You know, with you taking all these bites, garters do have a mild venom. If they really chew into a sensitive spot you can get a little rash or minor swelling. This is why when they latch onto a toad the toad becomes almost tranquilized and just lets the garter swallow it.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
HeavenHell
I'd much rather get bit than get musked. Unless you have a good hand sanitizer that smell can stick with you all day.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #10
Nanci
I love the smell of Gartersnake musk. Such happy childhood memories!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google