CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New to all this!

Old 07-29-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
Rocky2908
New to all this!

Hi everyone! I’m alice, just acquired my first ever corn snake! Been desperate for years and finally got rocky today. He is a rescue snake, unfortunately neglected and removed by authorities. So the store think he is around a year old. He’s quite small and am told he’s on fuzzys, due a feed tomorrow( should I go ahead with this or wait another day for settling)

So I have a couple of questions!

He has been quite active since bringing him home, but resting now.
I have 2 hides for him, he is at the moment buried in the aspen with his head poking out, at the cool end of the viv. Is this usual?

How often do corns shred? Or is it different for each snake?
How often should they drink as he hasn’t touched water!
Finally, I want to secure the thermometer probe properly to the bottom of the viv so I’m measuring the heat correctly, should I use tape or glue?

Thank you so much, Iv already found this forum really helpful!!

Old 07-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
Twolunger
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for rescuing Rocky. You can feed Rocky tomorrow and if he isn't interested you can try again in a couple days. Due to his neglect I'd probably feed him every 5 days for a while, to get him growing and adding weight. He will probably shed every month, but no worries if he takes longer. My corns prefer the cooler side until they are fed, then they stay on the warm side to digest. Don't worry about the water, you will seldom see him drink much. Just keep it clean, because sometimes they sit in it before and after a shed.

I'm assuming that you want to affix the probe to the outside bottom of the vivarium, and then measure the heat inside the viv under the substrate. I just used duct tape, since it holds well and the corn doesn't come in contact with it. Some people just set the probe on a piece of ceramic tile, providing that there is enough room under the viv.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:53 PM   #3
Rocky2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for rescuing Rocky. You can feed Rocky tomorrow and if he isn't interested you can try again in a couple days. Due to his neglect I'd probably feed him every 5 days for a while, to get him growing and adding weight. He will probably shed every month, but no worries if he takes longer. My corns prefer the cooler side until they are fed, then they stay on the warm side to digest. Don't worry about the water, you will seldom see him drink much. Just keep it clean, because sometimes they sit in it before and after a shed.

I'm assuming that you want to affix the probe to the outside bottom of the vivarium, and then measure the heat inside the viv under the substrate. I just used duct tape, since it holds well and the corn doesn't come in contact with it. Some people just set the probe on a piece of ceramic tile, providing that there is enough room under the viv.
Thank you so much for replying, really helpful to know!
There is a little hole for the probe in the back of the bib, so it is through there and touching the bottom of the viv where the heat mat is (under the glass) so was going to secure it inside?

Old 07-29-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
do not use any kind of Tape, ever, inside a snake's cage. There are many horror stories about of pet snakes get tangled and stuck to tape, and the end result is never pretty.

Many of us attach the temp probes and thermostat probes to the "Outside of the cage" along the bottom. You then adjust the settings to get the correct temp Inside the cage. By doing this you have no wires inside the cage and no tape or glue inside to worry about.

You'll just have to play with the settings a bit to get it where you want it.

For example, my thermostat is set to about 96 degrees. That's the temp of the heat pad on the outside of the cage. But if I measure the temperature inside his warm hide, the temp is 84 to 85 which is just right.

You want to have a place to hide directly over the heat pad, and your temp readings should be taken inside of that hide.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:57 AM   #5
kdickens
Hi Alice! Welcome and I'm glad you could rescue your snake! Corn snakes like to hide under the substrate and yes, once in a while you'll see it poke it's head up to look around. And it might stay on the cool side when not digesting a meal, especially in the summer. Post a photo when you get a chance! We like pics!

Old 07-31-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
Rocky2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdickens View Post
Hi Alice! Welcome and I'm glad you could rescue your snake! Corn snakes like to hide under the substrate and yes, once in a while you'll see it poke it's head up to look around. And it might stay on the cool side when not digesting a meal, especially in the summer. Post a photo when you get a chance! We like pics!

Thank you!!! Here he is 😄😄

Old 07-31-2018, 06:17 AM   #7
Rocky2908
https://imgur.com/a/ZVGfVp8

Old 07-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
DeuceRon
Sweet! He looks just like my 'Ace'!

Welcome and good luck.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:55 AM   #9
MysticExotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky2908 View Post
Hi everyone! I’m alice, just acquired my first ever corn snake! Been desperate for years and finally got rocky today. He is a rescue snake, unfortunately neglected and removed by authorities. So the store think he is around a year old. He’s quite small and am told he’s on fuzzys, due a feed tomorrow( should I go ahead with this or wait another day for settling)

So I have a couple of questions!

He has been quite active since bringing him home, but resting now.
I have 2 hides for him, he is at the moment buried in the aspen with his head poking out, at the cool end of the viv. Is this usual?

How often do corns shred? Or is it different for each snake?
How often should they drink as he hasn’t touched water!
Finally, I want to secure the thermometer probe properly to the bottom of the viv so I’m measuring the heat correctly, should I use tape or glue?

Thank you so much, Iv already found this forum really helpful!!
Welcome to Corns, and to the forum!

Yes, you can offer food tomorrow, and I agree with feeding a little more frequently than normal, until your snake gets up to size.

Mine love to burrow in the aspen! Perfectly normal.

Shedding frequency depends on age and growth rate. They shed as they grow bigger. More frequently as babies, and they slow down as they reach maturity. Yours will likely shed more frequently, as he grows.

The shed process is in a few different phases. They initially turn "blue", or an opaque color, then they turn clear, and sometimes they look normal in the clear phase. After you have had him for a while, you should be able to tell when he's in the clear phase.

Most of the time, I do not see my snakes drink. He probably wasn't dehydrated, which is a good thing. If he had been dehydrated, you would have seen him go straight for the water.

If you can attach a little suction cup to the wire on the probe, you can use that to secure the probe inside the enclosure, right above the heat mat (which should be on the outside of the enclosure).

Your new snake is very pretty!
Be sure to share more photos as he grows!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google