CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Please Help: Snake with Possible Broken Vertebrae

Old 11-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #31
kathylove
I am so sorry that you and your snake have to go through this. But I have seen recovery and partial recovery from some fairly bad neurological symptoms, although it may take quite a long time. So I have to agree that if he doesn't seem in pain, and is living relatively normally (eating, drinking, defecating, etc), then you should give him as much time as possible to evaluate him at a later date.

I can't really speak to the vet policy as I don't know everything about the situation. But I was also a nurse many years ago, and even back then, liability was always an important issue to be concerned with, as I am sure you are well aware. For the doctor (human or animal), then liability is even a greater concern than it is for the nurse.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:35 PM   #32
Lyreiania
Hi Nanci, Kathy, Kokopelli,
Thank you all so much for your words and thoughts. I DO love him and would be miserable without him; that, however is no excuse to keep a creature alive who is suffering. Kindness would be to end such a life; selfishness would be to continue it, I feel. Fortunately, I see NO signs that my snake is suffering.

He continues to eat and poop. He also seems to have a bit more use of his body distal to the fracture site. I have been working with him...massaging the tail and encouraging use, and it seems to be helping. He is big enough that I CAN work with his tail and lower third without affecting or disturbing the site of the fracture in any way, shape or form. When I massage him, he contracts his muscles, and at times can arch his back. At times when I massage him distal to that fracture he slithers, sort of. He responds more to firm touch than to light touch. He seems to have lost the ability to fully slither but when I work with him hes better at it. He gets around his cage though, and its a big one (135 gallons). At times he will tie himself in a knot, however. I help him gently out of it. He flipped his tail today, so he does have abilities....seeming better towards his tail which makes no sense. He just needs aggressive snake physical therapy, which I am trying to improvise. (Any ideas??) If only I could take him out of his cage, Id have him swim in the bathtub.

Thanks for all your ideas, and thoughts...and I will keep you all updated on his continuing progress.

Sincerely,
Susan

Old 11-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #33
Darcpixie
I may be incorrect, but as far as i knew, when nerves are damaged, the WHOLE nerve has to die, and is then rebuilt, bit by bit, over the course of months. THEN, once it is rebuilt, continued attempts at usage will train the brain on how to USE that nerve again.

So, with it being a relatively recent injury... I would continue to give him time. He sounds like he's still BEHAVING like a snake, and with normal, everyday activity, his brain will be forced into learning how to use any repaired nerves over time.

With how easy it is for snakes to go off feed when stressed, I think the fact that he's eating, pooping, and moving around would be a good indicator that he's not in a significant, that is to say insurmountable, amount of pain.

Hang in there, both of you. Calm, non-jarring vibes being sent your way.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #34
Lyreiania
Snake's X RAY

Hello all....
Ive finally recieved the emailed X RAY. Here it is, the displacement is clear to me even though Im no radiologist. Any opinions on HOW this might have happened judging from the X RAY are more than welcome. Prognosis guesses based on the X Ray are more than welcome also. I THINK I uploaded this but the image isnt showing.
Susan

Old 11-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #35
Nanci
My first thought is a crush injury from above. Nice film!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #36
Darcpixie
Does it look to anyone else like it's knitting, a little?

Very nice film... hang in there guys!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #37
Lyreiania
Nanci,
Thanks for your input; you are the second one to say it seems like a crush injury (first person, a neurologist/ surgeon for humans wondered if he was stepped on). From what you see, how severe is this break? To ME it looks devastating; quite severe but I am not a radiologist. From what you see, what do you feel a prognosis may be? I know its only a guess on your part. DID it sever or touch the spinal nerve, you think?

Anyways, I thank you for your input...do you think he can heal from this now youve seen the extent of the damage? And is it actually as bad I think it looks?

Darcpixie, this X ray was taken the day after I noticed the injury (oct 11) so there shouldnt be bone knitting...Dr Raiti said it looked like a new break. If however you meant knitting as in actually knitting with yarn, yeah, I can kind of see that in the pattern of the ribs and vertebrae. As a nurse, I do appreciate the interest of a unique X Ray, as my snakes MOMMY, Im horrified. <smiles>
Thank you for your input as well

Sincerely,
Susan

Old 11-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #38
bitsy
If it's any consolation, my Pumpkin's X-rays looked much worse than that - a whole series of displaced vertebrae, with broken ribs to add to the mix. My vet also asked me if I'd stepped on him.

As for prognosis, I really think that only time will tell. As has been said before, the fact that he's eating is a reasonable indicator that he's not in distress. Refusal to feed is a major sign of a problem, which yours doesn't have.

My vet was philosophical, and said that he'd seen Corns lead what otherwise seemed to be normal lives, with much worse skeletal damage that he saw in mine (and that was stomach-churning).

My guess is that yours has tried to jam himself underneath/in-between something, like my dimwit beastie did. Has he tried to lift the lid of the tank? Are there any heavy hides in with him? Did he try to squeeze between sliding glass doors?

The problem is, until/unless you catch him at it (like I did), you'll never know for sure.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #39
Nanci
My (human) radiologist says the severity of the injury is judged by neurological deficit- so movement/feeling below the level of the injury is a good sign, however, the "lines" of the spine (how all the aspects of one vertebrae sitting on top of another flow in an imaginary line) are interrupted and not smooth, and he wonders if bone fragments are impinging upon the spinal canal from above.

This shows "lines" in a human cervical spine.

http://tinyurl.com/5l2lv3

Old 11-13-2008, 06:22 PM   #40
Lyreiania
Snake's Fracture, Top View

Hi all...
I have another X Ray for your perusal. And Im deeply appreciative of all the support guidance and encouragement Ive had from all whove replied. It certainly does make this easier knowing you all are here. I hope I can one day repay all your kindnesses.

The break is clear here but the other view is better. Im horrified at the injury, but what a beautiful and intricate thing nature is...this X Ray is quite lovely in its symetry...aside from the fracture. Snake is the same. I have to take him water so he can drink...his mobility issues are showing, though he does react to my touch (well distal to the break, of course).
Sincerely,
Susan

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google