• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Whats the 1.0/.1 stuff mean?

prophet

Hi all, i am brand now to snakes and am planning on gettng a corn soon but while at the reptile store I noticed diferent nombers on the tank like1.1/1.0/.1 whats it all mean? Alls I see the term Het used allot whats that all about?

Thanks
Mike;)

Those numbers refer to the sex of the snakes. The number before the period refers to males, the number after it is for females.

So 2.1 Okeetee Corns would mean 2 males, 1 female okeetee.
Snakes are oftens old as pairs of the opposite sex, so you'll often see 1.1 <snake type >.

Het means that the snake is heterozygous for a trait. That is, they carry one gene for a trait, usually recessive, that isn't showing up in the appearance because it has to have two genes of that type in order for the trait to appear. Many normal corns are het for amelanism (lacking black)or anerythrism (lacking red). A heterozygous animal can be bred to produce offspring showing the trait that it's het for, as long as the one it's paired to is either heterozygous or homozygous (showing the recessive trait).

That explanation might have been confusing... I'm sure someone else can explain it better if you didn't understand. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Also, a number to the right of a second period indicates unsexed snakes. Example: 2.1.3 okeetees means 2 males, 1 female and 3 unsexed okeetees.

mike,
the best place (that i have seen) to learn genetics concerning cornsnakes is serpwidget's (check the members link at the top of the page) site. it explains almost everything you could ask about corn genetics. be forewarned though... there is ALOT of info there.... have fun... :) ---jim

Hi, I am new to this forum and I must say it is the BEST! I have always wondered what those #'s mean. Thanks for clearing that up. Keep up the great work!!
Jimmy C.

Back