CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

100 Flower (Lots of pics~)

Old 05-14-2004, 12:07 PM   #1
Simon
100 Flower (Lots of pics~)

Yet another pride of my collection~

but these guys are really hard to get started...and even well started ones are very well known to have 'sudden death'.....so lets all hope that this one is going to do well for me...
I have 1 dead already..so only 1 left....sigh~~

Old 05-15-2004, 10:14 PM   #2
MegF.
Wow!

Old 05-17-2004, 12:12 AM   #3
hosstheman
Background

Simon

Can you give me some background on these snakes origin, size, temperment, is there only one morph ,what kind viv they need, cost and are they easy to get. and anything you can think of.
They are really neat I might be interested in one.
Thanks Brian

Old 05-17-2004, 08:50 AM   #4
Simon
Brain,

The scientific name for these 100 flower rat snakes are Elaphe moellendorffi. These guys are originally from China. Their size can get up to 6 feet. Temperment wise....not good...as mines are wc animals. They also get stressed out very easily and will die if they are stressed too much. There are albino moellendorffi out there. But in my experience I have only seen 1 or 2 of them. They're also wild caught animals. The price went to $4000US for the pair if I remember correctly....and yes that is the price for wild caught animals. They wouldn't really be able to live in a viv...cause they would need mositure. As you can see from my pics that the aspen bedding is all wet. Not because that it spilled water all over the tub, but its because I am trying ot keep it as moist as possible. Those aspen chips are just for temp, cause I switched her to moss afterwards...keeping the mositure a lot better than the aspen and not nearly as messy. The cost for wc animal is around $50-$100US each. There are now cb animals for sale for this type, but not a lot. I don't know where you can find cb moellendorffi but you should be able to find maybe one or two in the states. I would expect the price for these to be around $1000US each.

WC animals are not nearly as good to keep as cb animals as these are very well known to have 'sudden death'. I have mine feeding now and still surviving (knock on wood) but it CAN one day turn on me and die all of a sudden with no real reason...

Heres a web site that you can get a bit more information about them. But I have basically covered it all already.

http://www.ratsnakes.com/Emoellendorffi.html

Hope this helped~

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google