CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > DIY Projects
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

DIY Projects Use this forum to post threads related to home made projects for your corns... Vivariums, hides, decorations, accessories, you name it. Anything to save some bucks or give your personalized touch.

KC's DIY'd Vivarium.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
cagedbirdsinging
KC's DIY'd Vivarium.

Hey, guys!

I wanted to start a thread to put my DIY endeavors into a journal of sorts rather than making threads for each individual project seeing as how I have at least a dozen plans.

I'll start out with descriptions for now as hopefully construction will begin tomorrow, along with pictures.

First off, this will not be a vivarium build itself, even though that will likely occur in a few years. For now, I will be working with an existing aquarium and essentially DIY-ing everything that I can for it rather than going out and buying what I need when I can make it and customize it for myself.

(For those not following my posts, I do not have my snake yet and will not be getting one for several weeks, most likely. I am waiting to make sure that I am 100% prepared and that I find the perfect snake for me rather than running out to a pet store and grabbing the first one I find!)

Project List:
  • background
  • hides
  • dishes/bowls
  • driftwood arrangement/embellishment
  • floral arrangements

Supply List:
  • styrofoam sheets
  • unsanded tile grout
  • silicone and sealants
  • various clays
  • acrylic paints
  • non-wired artificial greenery

Let the games begin!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:01 AM   #2
Nythain
This has potential to be a great thread. I love the DIY stuff, at least reading and watching it... I'm not too handy at it myself unfortunately.

Definitely plan on following this thread though!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
WestCoast_Redneck
I'm with Nythain! I love being able to read about and see other peoples ideas and creativity!
I built my own faux rock wall background for my 90gal a few months ago....Quite the project but SO worth it! Good luck and looking forward to reading your progression threads

Old 04-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
cagedbirdsinging
I'm glad to see so many other DIY fans! I really like doing things for myself and having unique items. Buying some supplies from a shelf (or ordering online, as I often do) that everyone else already has is a bit too impersonal of an experience for me.

The tank is cleaned and prepped for an initial fitting of the styrofoam background!

Old 04-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
chris68
Quote:
I am waiting to make sure that I am 100% prepared and that I find the perfect snake for me rather than running out to a pet store and grabbing the first one I find!
That phrase alone will get you a discount from me. Looking forward to seeing your results

Old 04-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #6
cagedbirdsinging
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68 View Post
That phrase alone will get you a discount from me. Looking forward to seeing your results
Wait, wait, wait... hold the phone...

You're in Hanover?! I'm sending you a PM right now!

Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #7
chris68
Pm answered

Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
cagedbirdsinging
This weekend's project is beginning the construction of a built-in burrow. The idea came from a fish forum that I used to frequent. Another fish keeper has some of the same species as I do that enjoy hiding. She came up with an ingenious way to offer them a hiding spot that allows her to view them at the same time as keeping them feeling safe and hidden. I hope to replicate this in my vivarium, but I will remove it of course if it fails in one way or another.

The construction material will be primarily clay as a base. I have not yet decided if I want to finish it using the same foam and grout method that I will be using for my background, or just sealing EE onto the surface to make it blend in.

I'll take some pictures but probably won't post until it is finished and installed since I am having trouble explaining the concept!

Old 04-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Nythain
Definitely waiting for pics. Though you should try to get at least a shot or two of it before it's in the viv, sometimes that makes it easier to see. Hope ya have fun with it, and can't wait till it's done!

Old 04-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #10
cagedbirdsinging
Oh, there will definitely be pictures of the burrow before it's installed! I'll just probably wait until I get it installed and then post all of the pictures together.

The more I think about it, the more I move toward finishing the exterior in the foam/grout method to match the background and make it appear as though it's an extension of it. This will hopefully bring one of the back corners of the background forward to give it some more dimension.

I'm still struggling with the exact size. I want her to feel safe and secure as a hatchling, but I don't think she'll be upgraded in tank size for 2-3 years, so I don't want to have to rebuild this when she gets larger if I don't have to. I'm thinking that I can fill in any excess space with bedding and just remove as much as needed during cleanings as she gets larger.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google