CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Time to Jump up a food size? (With pics)

Old 07-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Genlisae
Time to Jump up a food size? (With pics)

Nathair (he has a name now) is doing wonderfully. Shed was perfect, eating 2 pinkies every 5 days, and growing like a weed. The last few feedings though there has been no noticeable bump after feeding. Nothing. His diameter does not change at all and he is out and about in less than 12 hours after eating. So we ordered some fuzzies thinking it was probably time to move him up a size.

Now, I realize it is very common for new snake people to under estimate the appropriate prey size to feed their snake so I am here with pics to ask. (Advance apology for the terrible phone pictures, my camera has given up the ghost)

A head shot to provide a rough idea of his proportions.

A comparison shot with both a pinky and a fuzzy.

So what do you think? Still too small for fuzzies?

Old 07-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
hypnoctopus
He looks ready for fuzzies to me. You may want to slit the fuzzies for his first few feedings on them. Weighing him also can really help take the guesswork out of gauging meal size.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #3
Genlisae
I forgot to mention the weighing issues. Our scales finally arrived several weeks overdue and were DOA (I am guessing that had something to do with the shipping. The box looked like it had been used as a football) so we continue to wait for the arrival of WORKING scales, thus the still having to guess as we go along.

If he looks ready to those with experience we will give it a try. The cats will appreciate any that prove to just be way beyond his ability to wrap his head around I'm sure!

Old 07-26-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Saji
Looks healthy.

Old 07-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Chip
Always prefer to have weights since photos can be deceiving -but from the pic, that snake looks like it would be fine on fuzzies shown.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:59 AM   #6
Genlisae
Thanks all. The fuzzy went down no problem, took him a bit longer (about 24 hours) before he was out and about again, so all things seem to be going along okay. I am will keep an extra eye on him over the next few feedings just to make sure all continues to go well. He was due to eat again tomorrow but he's now in deep blue and cranky so we will let him be until after the shed.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:35 AM   #7
Phruit Dish
Sorry to read about those scales. I hate it when that happens! Glad things are going well, though!

I'm singing the "my snake's in blue" blues too. Feeling the deprivation...I mean, playing that waiting game.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google