CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

New Member Introductions Getting more and more new members here, so I think we need a forum for them to introduce themselves. You old timers can do the same, if you would like.

New Cornsnake Mom

Old 03-28-2015, 06:24 PM   #11
DollysMom
My pretty corn in his new skin, chowing down. I got his weight with my postal scale. He's 13 grams.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:45 PM   #12
D'n'D
Welcome - I'm a new mom too! Good looking little fella!

Old 03-28-2015, 11:15 PM   #13
DollysMom
Thanks D'n'D. Congrats on your new baby!

Old 03-28-2015, 11:38 PM   #14
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
UPDATE: when Dolly vacated the shedding box, I got a good look at him and couldn't see any stuck skin on his tail. Then I looked among the spaghnum and found the missing tail shed in one really nice and soggy piece. Our little friends really do know how to take care of themselves if we give them what they need. I feel much better now that I know the shed is complete. He's back in his warm hide. It was really gratifying to have made the shedding box and to have it work so well. P.S. I have turned off the light.
Yay! They have the most beautiful colors right after a shed. They are amazing creatures, and are fascinating to watch. They can take care of themselves in the wild but in captivity they are dependent on us to keep them safe and healthy.

Very good of you to check him thoroughly after a shed, if there is ever anything left of the shed you can hold him with a wet paper towel or washcloth and let him slither through it, the water will loosen the shed and the soft friction will pull it off. For the tail tip I have rolled it back and forth gently to loosen it and used my fingernail very lightly to pick at it. If it all doesn't come off he will keep growing and the stuck shed will hinder growth in that area and kill the live tissue, especially the tail. Kind of like rubber banding a dog's ears to cut them off, (a totally sickening practice, but it makes the point) it cuts off the circulation and will kill off the live tail tip.

If you want to see him at night get some LED lights, they put out no heat and are soft enough not to harm them but you will get to see him out at night.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 AM   #15
DollysMom
Thanks for the encouragement and advice, smigon.

Early on, I saw the picture of a necrotic tail due to retained shed in the Soderberg book. If that doesn't put the fear of the great reptile into you on incomplete shedding I don't know what will! My baby's tail tip is so cute. I'd be devastated if I let anything happen to it!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #16
FeatherWolf
Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollysMom View Post
Here's Dolly.
I really like the shades of color and contrast on her!

Old 03-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #17
DollysMom
Thanks featherwolf. That's what drew me to Dolly. Well, that and some tongue flicking!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google