CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

New Foster..... it's a box turtle. O_o

Old 03-30-2015, 06:09 PM   #11
Shiari
Turtle is officially mine as of tomorrow morning. If he stays under the jurisdiction of my work he'll end up euthanised due to funds/lack of proper housing and knowledge of care/inability to perform surgery ourselves which is reasonable. I'm getting him for 'free', just have to fill out the paperwork.

He's going to have a night-time tank inside, and during the day I figured I'd set up a 54 gallon plastic tote (42x21x18h) in an area of my porch that gets some afternoon sun and give him some strawberry plants and a red lettuce as well as his walk-in waterbowl and a nice hidey spot that's big enough for him to turn around in.

Does this sound okay?

Old 03-30-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
sheltowee
Sounds good, it's important with EBTs to maintain high humidity high humidity or they will get pneumonia. I'm not sure if three toeds can stand dryness more or not but with EBTs a dry environment is an eventual death sentence. When it's hot and dry out they'll always make sure their head end is buried in moist leaf litter or moist dirt. If in direct sunlight in confinement on a porch for too long temperature can sky rocket in short period of time so I'd be careful and use a thermometer to test. He definitely needs to be able to get out of the direct sunlight and a hide in a container under the direct sun may not be cool enough.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #13
Shiari
I'm going to put it in a location where half the tub will get sun and the other half will be permanently in the shade. No want cooked turtle.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:37 PM   #14
Shiari
Turtle-tat!

Whole thing: That's just about as much sun as it's going to get.

Close up of his hidey log. Room for him to turn around in there so he doesn't get stuck.

Chilling out under part of the ferns.

Old 04-01-2015, 09:24 PM   #15
obboi34
that looks beautiful. I hope he thrives under your care.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:06 AM   #16
Ravenessa
Contact Long Island turtle rescue she can put you in touch with the right people in your area <3

Edit!

Congrats to your new pet <3 Thank you for taking him... Im not the only nutjob

Old 06-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #17
Shiari
It's been quite a while, so I thought I should update Beret's thread.

He is doing REALLY WELL! Like, crazy really well. He's a bit peeved because he's inside in a hospital tank instead of his lovely outdoor tote, but he'll get over it. Eventually.

He's eating great now, and because the swelling has gone away the vet and I are certain it is *not* a kidney tumor, and that instead he got bit by some sort of nasty spider. He's regained mobility in the leg, and can withdraw it into his shell.

The not-as-great part is that there's a fair amount of dead muscle tissue on that leg. We're keeping it dry and applying SSD ointment to prevent infection, and the dead tissue is starting to peel away. In a couple months he should hopefully just have a wicked scar as a reminder.

Here's a plethora of feeding shots that I just took. This turtle LOVES his worms and ate 6 of them tonight. Two nights ago he had a dubia. And he finishes off an entire lettuce leaf over two days or so. He seems to like them wilted, go fig.

In which my hateful turtle ponders if fingers might be tastier than worms.

Realizing that he can't actually reach my fingers, because I'm smarter than that, he settles for the worm.

Stop flailing, worm, and let me eat you!

GIMME!

RAWR!

I've decided that the character designer for E.T. owned a turtle. Because just look!

Turtle tongue!

Old 06-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #18
hypnoctopus
He is so cute. I love his speckly head.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:54 PM   #19
ashleynicole
I have a red footed tortois and it is just the most adorable thing to watch them eat. Glad he's doing well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google