CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Feeding After Regurge

Old 03-22-2015, 11:03 PM   #1
Lasairfina
Feeding After Regurge

It's almost time to feed my corns after they both regurged.

I know I should be leaving them completely alone for a while, but what about feeding?

I always feed outside the enclosure. But since they should have as little stress as possible, should I continue that, or just lay down a paper towel in with them to feed on top of.

I use EcoEarth substrate, so it would be hella easy for them in ingest some with dinner. That stuff sticks to everything.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
smigon
Either is fine. Do your normal routine, but base it around the recommend feeding intervals and sizes of the prey.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:34 PM   #3
Lasairfina
I ended up feeding them in one of those plastic critter carriers I got just for feeding.

They both ate 1/2 a pinky, which were easier to cut in half than I expected.

Discord is still not eating very fast, she always spends a good 5-10 minutes looking around at her surroundings before finally paying attention to her mouse. The zombie mouse dance just scares her.

Chaos tried to swallow his sideways. But he grabbed it immediately. The zombie mouse dance worked for him.

I am surprised neither of them strike and coil their mice. But then my old corn, Draco, was a very gentle eater once he realized the rats weren't going to bite him back. Guy I got him from fed live, and he had some rat bite scars. He just ate his rats once he realized they wouldn't try to bite him back.

I always kinda assumed babies would naturally 'kill' their food, and not doing so was a learned behavior. But I guess if they never had live food in their life that wouldn't need to. Since me experience with baby snakes is limited to red tail boas, I just expected more gusto in their feeding. The boas 'killed' the crap out of everything they ate.

Wow I'm rambling. Sorry to anyone who can never get the minutes of their life they wasted reading it back. I promise to stop posting when I've already taken a sleeping pill. :P

Old 03-25-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
heyymaddiee
Is the temp in their vivs around 85ish on the warm side? It concerns me that that both regurged at the same time. Also In unsure if they are in the same enclosure but two snakes in one tank will stress eachother out which can cause regurge

Old 03-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #5
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyymaddiee View Post
Is the temp in their vivs around 85ish on the warm side? It concerns me that that both regurged at the same time. Also In unsure if they are in the same enclosure but two snakes in one tank will stress eachother out which can cause regurge
I was wondering the same thing. Are they separated?

Old 03-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #6
smigon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasairfina View Post
Wow I'm rambling. Sorry to anyone who can never get the minutes of their life they wasted reading it back. I promise to stop posting when I've already taken a sleeping pill. :P
LOL! No worries, you should SEE some of my emails and posts here and, worst of all, ONLINE SHOPPING! Dear lord it is like Christmas every day here!

As of today I have probably about 400 plastic plants to decorate vivs with, and I sure as hell don't remember ordering any of it! Oh, Ambien and Xanax...

Old 03-28-2015, 09:23 PM   #7
Lasairfina
The temps in the cages were too high when they regurged. 96F and 110F. My thermometers were borked. The temp is fixed.

They both hang around 84-86 now. They've both been quite active the past few days. No more regurge. I think I got the babies back on track.

I weighed them both yesterday. Both are gaining weight. Choas is 10 grams, Discord is 15 grams, they both gained 2 grams. I was worried about stunting them.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:00 AM   #8
smigon
Oh good. Just keep following the regurge protocol all the way through, it is important for their stomachs to heal completely which can take a while. They look and act well, but just complete the treatment before feeding more than recommended.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:20 AM   #9
Lasairfina
Quote:
Originally Posted by smigon View Post
Oh good. Just keep following the regurge protocol all the way through, it is important for their stomachs to heal completely which can take a while. They look and act well, but just complete the treatment before feeding more than recommended.
That's my plan!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google