CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Cat food, dog food!?!

Old 07-20-2004, 06:01 AM   #11
magick-bears
Dand, I am glad that you have found a food source that works well. That is actualy a very good protein and fat levals for maintaining mice and mice that are in low production. However, in general that is not the percentages that dog foods have. The largest problem with dog food is that it is high in protein (some as high as 27%). Most of that protein is in the form of animal protein. Animal protein is difficult for mice to digest/use. Now if you can find a vegitarian based dog food with protien of 16%-21% then that could actualy be healthy for mice. Problem is I have never seen one for less then $15 for a 50 pound bag. Come to think of it there are not many dog foods I have seen latly that are that cheap.

Just my $0.03
Jeff C.

Old 07-21-2004, 12:56 PM   #12
Susan
Currently, I feed Mazuri Rodent 6F (the only Mazuri Rodent available in my location). I'm not sure if this is their type for rodent breeders or not. Analysis (and I'm reading it off the label) is 16% protein and 6% fat. The main ingredients are corn, soybean, wheat and oats. These are the types of things rodents eat in the wild.

Before I was able to find the Mazuri food, I made my own mixture of whole oats, cracked corn, some sunflower seeds and some dog food (actually the cheapest I could find - Ol' Roy Adult - since that had the lowest protein and was made mostly of corn and other "less desirable" ingredients...for DOGS...but good for rodents).

Old 07-21-2004, 04:04 PM   #13
magick-bears
Susan the Mazuri Rodent 6F is ok for breeders. MazuriŽ Rodent Breeder 9F 5M68 is slightly better for faster growth of the kits. And though I prefer a higher fat diet for mice I do not like MazuriŽ Rodent Breeder 11F 5M99. The problem with Mazuri feeds is that the only difference between their 6% fat diet and their 11% fat diet is how much animal fat they put in. As I have said before mice have trouble with large percentages of animal products/bi-products in their diet. I personally still think that ProLab RMH 2000 made by Purina Mills is the best commercially available diet available for high production mice. I used it for almost 15 years. In that time I had a closed herd/colony that was line-bred as well as inbred. I had very few problems with tumors (less then 1 in a 100) and a majority of my does bred up to and beyond 2 years. I was also producing an average litter size of 15 to 18 with litters of as many as 28. Unfortunately non of the grain stores in my area carry it and the ones willing to order it want me to take more then I could use with in it's 3-6 month self life.

Just my $0.03
Jeff C.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:42 PM   #14
Sasheena
I think that sometimes people focus on the "cheap" dogfoods, as they are not good for dogs, but are great for mice. I have tried a huge variety of dogfoods, and rat foods and mice foods and focus now on the one dogfood the mice like more than any others. I noticed that they do drink more water, perhaps to process the protien, but they breed like crazy when on that dog food and they don't get fat (unless genetically predisposed to fat). Since it WORKS, I go with it. The only time I used rodent blocks.... they ALL ate their babies (about 250 mouse babies, gone in 36 hours) and then they started to die. I threw away the expensive rodent chow, moved back to my preferred brand of dog food, and they recuperated and started to breed again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google