CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Frost bitten feeders…

Old 06-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
702marine
Question Frost bitten feeders…

So I noticed that some of my feeders have a little bit of frost bite on them. They don’t seem to be bad or anything I was just wondering if anyone thinks this would be bad for my snakes. The feeders are not old, maybe a month or so. Thanks to everyone on here, there is so much info to refer to.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
wstphal
Frostbitten meat is not dangerous for humans to eat, I have done it. So I wouldn't think frostbitten mousicles are a problem either. I would go ahead & thaw & serve & if the snake(s) eat them, OK, but use them up before they get worse frostbitten, because eventually they dehydrate and probably wouldn't taste very good.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Nanci
I'd still feed them. To prevent it in the future, if you don't have a vacuum sealer (even the cheap little ones work!) put the mice in a ziplock, squeeze out as much air as you can, then put that in a second bag, or a Tupperware.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #4
Bartholomew
I would still feed them. You could also get one of those ziplock vacume freezer bags. And, of course, with the vacume pump out all the air. That way, they wont get a worse freezer burn. The ziplock bags are pretty cheap.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
cornsnakeforsale_com
A little freezer burn is no problem. Mice can stay usable for a pretty long time, towards the year range depending on how they're packed. If it looks really bad that's a different story.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
feeders