CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

"Chocolate" Cornsnake?

Old 09-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Aozora
"Chocolate" Cornsnake?

I was looking at BHB's site at their corn snakes for sale, and they mentioned a hypo chocolate corn. (link)

What is a chocolate corn snake? Is it just another name for a different morph, or is this a newer morph?

Thanks for the response!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Reptileman81
I know of a chocolate rat snake and even a albino chocolate one which there are picks of in the Love's book. You might try googling for picks if you don't have said book.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
chris68
"Chocolate" is a morph phase of an Emoryi rat snake I think.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
Camby
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris68 View Post
"Chocolate" is a morph phase of an Emoryi rat snake I think.
Correct, chocolate is an emoryi morph. There is also a chocolate albino emoryi (we hatched two this year). It is not related to any corn morph.

dc

Old 09-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #5
5 Star Serpents
Has anyone clicked on the link the OP posted? They are asking about something they have come across that is for sale and is being sold as a "hypo chocolate CORNSNAKE".

I have seen something somewhat (but not quite) similar up here that is being coined a "mocha line" hypo, I do know of the history on it but can't recall off the top of my head, that however I'm sorry doesn't help you in this case though

Old 09-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #6
RobbiesCornField
The last corn I remember being called a "mocha" was the original name for lavenders, given their mocha-like appearance as hatchlings.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
taxman123
It looks like a hypo or normal to me. But if Chocolate is a hybrid they should list it as that.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #8
Reptileman81
Yeah I was thinking the same thing normal or hypo. Without a good belly shot I really think it just looks normal.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
Chip
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman123 View Post
It looks like a hypo or normal to me. But if Chocolate is a hybrid they should list it as that.
An emoryi rat isn't a hybrid. It's a subspecies. Some argue that it's just a western variant of the corn to begin with. I'm no expert on taxonomy so have no educated opinion from scale counts and so forth, but it's the only rat snake that is hard to tell from a corn from a B&W pic.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
Susan
While at Daytona, looking at Lee Abbott's table, I believe, the person I talked to, and I think it was Lee himself, said he had just invested in the new corn morph, and I believe it was called "chocolate". I may be slightly confused as it had been a couple of hours listening to whiney kids, but I do remember it was a well-known corn snake breeder and someone that would most likely be "in the know". Maybe someone with a little more info can chime in please?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google