CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

Stripes vs Tessera Stripes - Please help with IDing them

Old 09-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
Isoldael
Stripes vs Tessera Stripes - Please help with IDing them

So, as the title says. The breeding was Anery Stripe x Tessera het Amel Anery Stripe. Apart from some clearly normal patterned hatchlings and some tessera patterned hatchlings, I got a good amount of stripey things. I know some of them must be tessera stripes (well over a 99% chance of that), but I'm not sure which. I'll try to share a few photos of each hatchling. If necessary, I can take new, better ones of particular features. Please share your thoughts!

I would also very much like to know how you would price these. Since I'm not 100% sure which is which, I'm not entirely comfortable with selling them for tessera stripe prices. I don't want to mislead anyone and sell something as what it's not. On the other hand, I don't want to sell all my tessera stripes as regular stripes either. It's quite the difference in price, and to be frank, I could really use the money to look after the snakes for the coming year. How would you handle this?

Okay, here come the snakes. I will spread them across several posts due to the 12 image limit.

Number 1. I suspect that this one is "just" an anery stripe due to the dashing down the tail, but if you think otherwise, please let me know. It does have a bit of a faded head pattern though.

Number 5. Pretty light colored snake and the back stripes start off pretty thin, but widen quickly and while they fade, they stay visible all the way to the tail. Also displays the weird faded out head pattern that some people have noticed in their tessera stripes. Suspected anery tessera stripe.

Number 6. Suspected normal stripe because of the variation in the width of the stripe, and the fact that it breaks up down the body. Very brightly colored snake, too.

Number 7. Suspected "regular" stripe, because of the broken up stripes down its back. Also has a very dark and clear head pattern.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
Isoldael
Number 8. Suspected anery tessera stripe because of the faded head pattern and the fact that the stripes fade, but persist all the way down the body.

Number 10. Not sure what to make of this one. Has particularly thin dorsal stripes and is VERY light colored, but once again the stripes persist all the way to the tail. Thoughts?

Number 11. Very evenly, dark-striped snake. Not sure whether this is tessera or not, but it certainly does look like one. I had two extremely similar looking hatchlings last year.

Number 14, the last stripey thing in the clutch. Also very evenly striped and the stripes fade towards the tail, but persist. The head pattern is rather dark though, but still smudgy.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:50 PM   #3
Tavia
Sorry I can't help much but just wanted to say that is some gorgeous photography! And some awesome subjects too!

Old 09-06-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
Isoldael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavia View Post
Sorry I can't help much but just wanted to say that is some gorgeous photography! And some awesome subjects too!
Thanks! That's very nice to hear ^^

As for the question... anyone? Cause I really don't know what to do in terms of pricing. I can't really keep them until I can test them either, so...

Old 09-07-2015, 02:48 AM   #5
JTBelcastro
Ive had that issue this year as well, but it seems I have only hatched out tessera stripes and weirdly no normal stripes.

The tessera stripe is much thinner and boldly defined. like this one

Old 09-07-2015, 02:50 AM   #6
JTBelcastro
and also you have some awesome photos and backgrounds going on. I really like the one with the anery on the gray rocks

Old 09-07-2015, 03:31 AM   #7
Isoldael
JTBelcastro - did you by any chance get motleys from the clutch? Yours seem more like tessera motleys or tessera motley/stripes

Old 09-07-2015, 03:34 AM   #8
Isoldael
And thank you for the compliments on the photography Takes aa hell of a lot of time to take pictures of the babies, but I love doing it

Old 09-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #9
JTBelcastro
I did not get any normal motleys from the clutch, so yes you may be right about them being tessera motleys but I am not yet sure

Old 09-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #10
crturley
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBelcastro View Post
The tessera stripe is much thinner and boldly defined. like this one
I would actually say your guy in the foreground there is a tessera motley (motley/motley or motley/stripe genotype). His striping isn't as bold as many tessera motleys, but the giveaway is the thickness of his central dorsal stripe, between the two brown lines--it would be wider on a tessera stripe.

Isoldael, sorry it took me awhile to answer you! I think my take on each of them is the same as yours:

#1-stripe
#5-tessera stripe
#6-stripe
#7-stripe
#8-tessera stripe
#10-tessera stripe
#11-tessera stripe (?)
#14-tessera stripe (?)

The last two I'm less certain about. I've also hatched babies that looked like them, but didn't keep one to prove whether it was definitely a tessera. To me, though, the deciding factor is the very blurred and light head pattern. ("Light," as in, melanin-reduced.) Some of your stripes have a reduced head pattern, true, but to me they look more like the effect of masque.

As far as pricing, I have no idea what things go for in Europe. O.O Are you not actually in the Netherlands?

Regardless, some of those anery striped tesseras are to die for. I'd be interested to see the parents, if you have pics of them?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google