CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Breeding Mice

Old 03-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #1
3330PHILIP
Breeding Mice

Hi, I've been thinking about breeding mice for my snakes. Now, i've never done it before. Does it matter what breed/type of mice i breed?? My local petstores have loads of mice except your normal, standard brown mice. Some have fancy names and colours. They're all roughly same price (£3-£6 english pounds). also, How can i tell if i'm buying a male and female? When can mice breed, in terms of their age? All help will be greatly appreciated!
Regards

Old 03-14-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
MightyNutteR
nah doesn't matter what type of mice, just make sure you only have 1 male mouse to a colony

Old 03-14-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
MightyNutteR
look for the biggest mice* i had to go and buy these tiny mice, gonna take a while until they get fat and explode with babies

Old 03-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Baba-Lou
Mice reach sexual maturity at different times, Females at 6 weeks and males at 8 weeks. NO its doesn't matter if you breed 2 different color domestic mice. As for sexing them. If the space between their anus and urethra are farther then its a male. Where as its shorter in females. If you don't know what mice are what at the pet store are, ask for so many females and so many males. Its not hard to breed mice. But you do have to take into account they breed better in lower temps, and on a light schedule of 12:12. And sometimes you won't see them having babies for some time. So don't get frustrated. Just give them some time.

You have any more questions just ask.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
Baba-Lou
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyNutteR
look for the biggest mice* i had to go and buy these tiny mice, gonna take a while until they get fat and explode with babies
also remember bigger mice are not always good. As they could be reaching their peak in having babies.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:43 PM   #6
Bobo's Mama
[quote=Baba-Lou]Mice reach sexual maturity at different times, Females at 6 weeks and males at 8 weeks. QUOTE]

Baba-Lou is right about them reaching sexual maturity at different times. One of my female mice became pregnant before she was even 4 weeks old.

Old 03-14-2006, 06:45 PM   #7
Baba-Lou
and this is because some of us accidently mis-sex our mice, forget to take out wenalings, and because some mice just et horney before they know it. lol

Old 03-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #8
3330PHILIP
Cool, that clears that up. So should i ask for 1 male and say 2 or 3 females? is that enough/plenty? How long till they give birth and what do i do when they are born?

Old 03-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
Baba-Lou
1 male and 3 females is fine, but be sure to have a tank or cage big enough for them. You won't be expecting babies from 19-21 days. and what ever you do. do not oogle over the babies and leave them alone for 3 days. This give the mother stress if you oogle over them and may eat her babies if you go and touch and play with them during those first few days.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #10
3330PHILIP
Thanks. So how long does it take for them to become fuzzies? Should i offer them alive to my snakes? How many will be born? If i want to save them for another feeding, should i drown them or just put them in freezer??? i don't want to sound morbid, i'm just learning...!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google