CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Cultivars (morphs)/Genetics Issues Discussions about genetics issues and/or the various cultivars for cornsnakes commercially available.

"Blued Steel" Pippies!

Old 06-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #1
Susan
"Blued Steel" Pippies!

After having lost the pair from last year, I've been anxiously awaiting the pipping of 2 clutches. The first clutch didn't produce any "blued steels", so I have to test those parents next year with known producers. However, this second clutch, from the anery motley het stripe and ghost male X ghost het motley female, has totally messed with Murphy and his laws! I see at least 4 potential "blued steels"! There is some differences in the shades, perhaps something similar to the differences between male and female lavenders and hypolavs is happening (will tell you more when they get sexed), but the definate difference from typical anerys and ghosts is present. I do find it sort of weird that not one typical ghost hatchling is in this clutch, making me think that perhaps the "blued steels" are a weird ghost and not a weird anery. I will probably lose my mind by the time the first test clutches ever hatch! I'm just really glad that more have hatched this year and last year wasn't just a fluke!

Third pic has a typical anery sibling for comparison.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:03 AM   #2
jzal8
gorgeous susan, that is awsome. finally caught a break

Old 07-01-2006, 12:35 AM   #3
scottsquatch
nice!

Holy cow! That anery mot in the 3rd picture blows my mind! Congrats Susan.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:47 AM   #4
Lore
What exactly is a "blued steel" I have not heard of this morph.

Old 07-01-2006, 12:52 AM   #5
carol
I never heard that you lost your first pair! I am so terribly sorry to hear that. Congrats on the new pippies!

Old 07-01-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
Savvy19
I'm slowly falling in love with Anery's. I'm obsessed with Black and White together... and that one in the 3rd picture is amazing!

Old 07-01-2006, 04:20 AM   #7
Russell
congrats!

Congratulations Susan!
will be a fantastic project to work on! I'm thinking of embarking on a chocolate anery quest, now that I have some weird anerys...no...maybe they are ghosts...I don't know...LOL! I need a beer...or two...my head hurts...

Old 07-01-2006, 07:18 AM   #8
Susan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLore
What exactly is a "blued steel" I have not heard of this morph.
I'm not exactly sure what it is, but these seem to be cropping up in a variety of seemingly unrelated collections. I had 2 of these hatch out last year...one from a brother/sister pairing of anery motleys het stripe and ghost. The second came from the same male but out of a ghost het motley female that just happens to be a half-sister to the male (same father). I just remembered that I have yet another clutch to hatch in a couple of days...same male again, but yet another half-sister female (again, same father, but a totally unrelated mother to any of the other snakes in this project).

I recently purchased a 1.3 sibling group which contains 0.2 that have the same look. I have since also made arrangements to obtain the parents of these hatchlings. The parents, by coinicidence (?) are also anery motleys het ghost. And all of the "blued steel" babies have been motleys, so far.

Also, just a few minutes ago, I read mvervest's thread on his silver blue ghosts. I saw the color of that hatchling and almost wet my pants! And the adult is exactly what I imagined one would look like! And being located in Belgium...I really doubt his snakes are related to mine...at least very closely.
Here's a quick link... http://www.cornsnakes.com/forums/sho...034#post299034

The "blued steel" name is my husband's idea, as the color of the very first hatchling was exactly the color of blued steel. He says it's a sort of unique color...not blue grey, or steel blue, but blued steel.

And here are some "dried off" pics I quickly took this morning:

Old 07-01-2006, 07:26 AM   #9
Susan
And for those who think it's just a ghost, here is an example of the color of the ghosts that I've been hatching out for the past 8 years:

Old 07-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #10
ecreipeoj
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan
However, this second clutch, from the anery motley het stripe and ghost male X ghost het motley female, has totally messed with Murphy and his laws! I do find it sort of weird that not one typical ghost hatchling is in this clutch, making me think that perhaps the "blued steels" are a weird ghost and not a weird anery.
Perhaps the reason that you did not get any Ghost in the clutch, is because the Anery Motley het Striped was the father and not the Ghost? It seems likely that he is the one that is het for Blued Corns as well.

I have been following your Blued Steel Corns, due to their resemblance to Blue Motleys. I wonder if they are being caused by the same gene or type of gene. It sure seems like an on/off gene. Have you been able to obtain any Blue Motleys to test against your Blued Steel Corns? I do find it odd that all Blued Corns have been Motleys, but I think that a Blued Normal will definitely be possible. Everybody who has been producing them, have done so from Motleys.

I have several small clutches coming from my Blue Motley male that was out crossed to other Anerys. One clutch has hatched from an Anery het Snow Motley so I do have some Anerys het for Blued. At least, I believe that is the way it will work. I also learned that my Blue Motley is het for Amel which is nice. It will be interesting to see if the Blued effect can be seen in Amels or Snows. A bluish Snow, may be interesting.

I really wanted to get the Blues bred to the Charcoal line, but got all slugs from that cross. Somebody will have to get that cross done someday and the Lavender Line would be great too. I almost think that I have something similar in my Lav line now, with my Sunsets. They have the look I would expect from a Blued Lav.

I produced my first Sunsets from my line of Lavenders, from my Striped Lav Project. This caused me to breed brother and sisters together that were het for Striped Lav and presto, Sunsets. I obtained some Sunset Motleys from Ted Frey, who I found out had also produced the first Lavenders I got way back when, that I bought from Rainwater. When I raised them up, they reproduced several Sunset Motleys. The one if the photo is from 05. My line of Sunsets has proven to be reproducible as well and seems to be an on/off gene. They resemble a Hypo Lav Motley, but are not, which is the same thing that you and others have suggested about the Blueds. They resemble Ghost, but they are not. They seem to be caused by a hypo type gene or dilute gene.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google