CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Constricting Dead Prey

Old 03-10-2007, 09:26 AM   #31
Swe_Corn

I agree with kenny , do not stress your snake more than neccesary , toss in the food and let the snake be, it dont apreciate when you are around att all its a stress factor for sure....

here is a tip if the snake doesnt like taking the foof while its laying still

place the mouse on a bush or something like it , tie a fishing line to he bush , now you can stand a bit away from the snake and u can pull a little in the line and the mouse is moving=) makes them strike easily !! and one more thing if u take a mouse from the fridge , take a bowl of 60 degrees celcis warm water and put the mouse in plasticbag and let the mouse come up to 26 celcius aproxmitly it will be easier for the snake locate it cause of the smell that gets stronger or else u can try to "brain" it make a little hole in the head ...

Old 03-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #32
tyflier
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry fielder
am i the only one who finds that comment sick. i understand there are snakes that will only eat live food but the owners try everything else first. you make it sound like your doing it for "fun"
Terry-
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but some people are just like that. Some people enjoy watching their reptiles eat live food, and it is even a"selling point" to some people. It's sad, but true. I find it easier to concentrate on the facts and ignore the BS. I don't always succeed, but I try...

FWIW...I have an MBK that is very picky, and definitely prefers live. I also tend to feed live pinkies to all my snakes(that are on pinkies) because it is just easier for me. I take the newborn pink out of the aquarium and toss it in with the snake. It's easier, and pinkies are harmless to the snake, so...why not? This may change when I have more than 1 or 2 snakes at a time on pinks. I can't say I enjoy watching my snake "squeeze the life out of something", but it doesn't bother me, either. The mouse, to me, was born and raised purely for this purpose, so live or dead...it's fullfilling it's purpose. I prefer to feed f/t in the "fuzzy and up" sizes for only 2 reasons...it's easier to kill a whole litter of fuzzies and freeze them than it is to have 100 live mice, and it is safer for my snakes. If my MBK continues to be picky, I will continue to feed her f/k or stunned for as long as necessary with feelings of neither guilt nor pleasure...just a matter of fact.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #33
terry fielder
yeh i can see your point and if my snake wasnt eating anything id try it but it would be a last resort. f/k or stundeds ok because the mouse would'nt really suffer and iv heard pinkys die not long after leaving the nest, so thats not to bad. oh well 666killademon at the end of the day you know what can happen if you think its worth the risk who are we to stop you. i hope your snake will be ok and you only need to do it once just to see what happens.
regards
terry
ps i just found this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderplayer108
Please for the sake of your snake, and the sake of your pocket book when you need to rush to a vet because of something like this..
Would you really want your snake to go through this?

Old 03-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #34
hartsock
I know this thread is over a week old as far as the last post, but man, I just felt I needed to add my 2 cents.

I have four corns right now, plus 6 other snakes, of the corns 2 constrict, 1 doesn't, 1 does every once in a while. I feed with a pair of plain old kitchen tongs. What is the big deal with having them constrict??? Exciting? once they strike and wrap around it (all of about 2.5 seconds) they just sit there holding the prey. you want 2.5 seconds of excitement, just get someone to randomly hide in your house and jump out and scare you every now and then. Why put your snake at risk?

My red tail boa even does this randomly (constricting, not hiding and jumping out at me). One time he'll attack it constrict it until it is a flat thing with guts squeezed out everywhere, the next time he might just reach out slowly and take it like a parrot taking a cracker.

If you really want excitement when feeding a snake, why not go out and get a hot (venomous) snake and hand feed it, that way, you'll be putting yourself at the same type of risk that you would be putting a snake in that you were feeding live prey. Trust me, it will be alot more exciting for you.

Old 03-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #35
hartsock
okay, as far as that last post of mine --- I apparently don't know what freaking date it is... sorry, but the rest of what I said stands.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:01 PM   #36
dwyn127
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsock
you want 2.5 seconds of excitement, just get someone to randomly hide in your house and jump out and scare you every now and then.
That's classic!

Old 03-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #37
666killademon
You know what hartsstock **** you. Yes I do like to see it kill I don't care, I wasn't being disrespectful now you took it there. All I wanted to know was if a snake, fed mainly on prekilled, would constrict a live mouse every now and then. Im not sayin everybody has to agree with me oh well your soft then but I never started being disrespectful.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #38
Roy Munson
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666killademon
You know what hartsstock **** you. Yes I do like to see it kill I don't care, I wasn't being disrespectful now you took it there. All I wanted to know was if a snake, fed mainly on prekilled, would constrict a live mouse every now and then. Im not sayin everybody has to agree with me oh well your soft then but I never started being disrespectful.
I too believe that hartsock's opinion was expressed too harshly, but that doesn't justify the part of your reply that I bolded. If I was a harsher mod, I'd give you a three-day ban for that, but we'll just call this the first and only warning.

Let's keep the discussion civil. Re-think your words if your post could be read as belittling. And I'm no implied profanity nazi, but there's a big difference between writing "bleep you" and writing "bleeping ridiculous". If you can't figure out the difference, PM me and I'll explain it to you.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #39
tyflier
Thanks, Dean. Discretion and moderation at it's finest. Well, done...

Old 03-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #40
hartsock
Okay, look I wasn't trying to be harsh, much of what I said was to be taken as tongue in cheek as applying a little humor to what really is a serous topic. I apologize if I offended anyone...

HOWEVER, what we are really talking about is putting your pet in danger so you can get a thrill and plain and simple I don't see why you should take that risk. You admit you get a thrill out of seeing it kill and I will admit that does give anyone who loves snakes a rush. To see the power, the speed, the efficency that your pet who you can hold in your hand turn into this predator who stalks is really awesome, but where is the responsibilty on the owners part? Someone answer this? I know they eat live prey in the wild, but in the wild you aren't enclosed in glass, a snake that is being fed mainly thawed suddenly having a live mouse/rat introduced every now and then is what I would call confusion and irresponsible on the owners part.

I get a thrill/high out of watching someone climb the side of a mountian without safety gear, does that mean that as a father I am going to send my kid up the side of the cliff? What I said about the hot snakes, I feel to be very true. If someone really wants a rush out of feeding their snakes, they should hand feed a hot one. why not put yourself in the same danger that you are putting your snake? All you need to do is look at the post above my first one on here, or do a search on this forum or many others to see the damage that will be caused by feeding live. It is one thing when that is all a snake will eat, it is totally another thing when it is done just for the owner to get off on it! As far as monitoring live prey in with a snake, tell me how are you going to intervene when a snake is constricting it's prey(the whole reason why this started) and it still bites the snake while being held?

IMO, that is a risk that a responsible snake owner should not take. If that offends anyone, sorry, but again, that is my opinon and many others. And as far as being soft, if it means I care about my snakes, then you can call me any name you want, because frankly, I really don't care.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google