CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Feeders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Feeders Any and all issues about raising rats, mice, or anything else that you feed your cornsnakes.

Hamsters?

Old 07-01-2008, 03:37 AM   #1
A.J.
Hamsters?

Can I feed my corn snake hamster pinkies? Thanx.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Flagg
Yes, but there is the risk that it won't take anything else if it likes the hamsters too much.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
tricksterpup
If you have them its not to much of a problem. I never had a corn that wanted to eat one thing but it could happen. But if you have spare ones its fine to toss in.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
A.J.
The reason I ask is because someone told me that they thought hamsters are to fatty for snakes. So I was just wondering.

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Bling_my_leo
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Can I feed my corn snake hamster pinkies? Thanx.
Yea, of course they can have them.

I'm going to ask my mom if we can get a breedeing pair of hamsters and feed off the young to my future corn. When the corns grows up, I will let the baby hamsters get full adult size. How does this sound?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
Corny Noob
Hamsters are nasty as breeding pets for food.
And keep in mind that they are known for eatting their babies out of the blue and there goes all your food.

Of course I hope you'll be at least stunning them first?
Their teeth are wicked....

Old 07-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #7
FunkyRes
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
The reason I ask is because someone told me that they thought hamsters are to fatty for snakes. So I was just wondering.

Thanks!
I have no idea about the fat content of hamsters compared to mice, but with pinkies - all pinkies are fatty, the goal is to get them off of pinkies and onto fuzzies as soon as possible.

I suspect (note that I don't have proof and don't claim to) part of the reason why corn snakes stay small for so long until they hot 15 to 20 grams and then start shooting up in size is because of the lack of calcium in pinkies compared to fuzzies.

So - mouse pinky, hamster pinky, probably no difference whatsoever. Get them onto peach fuzzies as soon as they are big enough and then watch the growth explosion.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 AM   #8
snakeboy24
generally people say hamsters have a much higher fat content for their size and this has been proven through disections. it isnt good for the snakes really, as they are getting a lot of fat (which i believe but dont quote me) is bad for their liver. and also i think they contain less nutritional value than mice, hamsters also arent great breeders as they eat there young a lot more often that other breeder rodents. they are also thought to be addictive, so if you feed your snake on them, theres a good chance you wont get it to eat anything else.

i know there is a lot of information about it on the internet, but just be prepared for graphic disection pictures. i believe a hamster has as much as 3 times as much fat:body size ratio than a rat and a mouse does.

lee

Old 07-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #9
snakeboy24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyRes View Post
I have no idea about the fat content of hamsters compared to mice, but with pinkies - all pinkies are fatty, the goal is to get them off of pinkies and onto fuzzies as soon as possible.

I suspect (note that I don't have proof and don't claim to) part of the reason why corn snakes stay small for so long until they hot 15 to 20 grams and then start shooting up in size is because of the lack of calcium in pinkies compared to fuzzies.

So - mouse pinky, hamster pinky, probably no difference whatsoever. Get them onto peach fuzzies as soon as they are big enough and then watch the growth explosion.
if the pinkies are high quality you should see a little yellow/white blob in their torso, thats their stomache full of milk, now the milk is an important part really, as it has a lot of calcium in it, which is benificial to the snake, but they do lack in other things that fuzzies etc have, that being the reason snakes start to shoot up when they are moved onto larger food items.

lee

Old 07-02-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
A.J.
Well, I haven't fed him hamsters as of yet. And I don't think that I will either. I don't want him getting addicted to them, thats for sure.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google