• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Calling All Lurkers

Well, I'm just using aspen cause I know he'll like burrowing in it, and it's a good substrate for that. I never gave much thought into contrasting my substrate with my snakes before though. Guess that would explain why my ball python looks particularly striking in her enclosure. Bright yellow against dark browns, greys, and greens. I use eco earth with her to help humidity though. My corns don't need it, so I don't use it with them.

Although, I think my Anery corn's darker colors look pretty good with aspen's color. He'd just blend in on anything dark, lol. Might not be a bad idea to use a darker substrate for my coral snow hatchling though. I'd be able to find her easier.

I do agree though, aspen does have a habit of getting everywhere. Eco earth can too. It is what it is. :shrugs:

Well, I'm just using aspen cause I know he'll like burrowing in it, and it's a good substrate for that. I never gave much thought into contrasting my substrate with my snakes before though. Guess that would explain why my ball python looks particularly striking in her enclosure. Bright yellow against dark browns, greys, and greens. I use eco earth with her to help humidity though. My corns don't need it, so I don't use it with them.

Although, I think my Anery corn's darker colors look pretty good with aspen's color. He'd just blend in on anything dark, lol. Might not be a bad idea to use a darker substrate for my coral snow hatchling though. I'd be able to find her easier.

I do agree though, aspen does have a habit of getting everywhere. Eco earth can too. It is what it is. :shrugs:

Beech chippings for darker snakes ;). They're tiny chips ..

c21cc1466c5c4da12c1bf4614fd5f8a8.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So, I can't seem to find anywhere that'll sell beech chips in the US, so that option's out. Orchid bark is expensive for the amount you get. I'll just stick with aspen. The snakes like it, I can tolerate it, so it's all good.

So, I can't seem to find anywhere that'll sell beech chips in the US, so that option's out. Orchid bark is expensive for the amount you get. I'll just stick with aspen. The snakes like it, I can tolerate it, so it's all good.

Orchid bark is cheap on eBay if you get a big bag ..

It can also be cleaned and re-used if you are prepared to spend the time and energy..

The forum is really dragging lately, very few posts and very little in the way of discussion. Rich monitors the activity, and if the forum no longer meets the needs of the corn snake community, it will disappear...

I've been involved with snake keeping for more decades than I care to say. After a break due to life circumstances, I'm getting more involved again, and I registered here just today because the website where I posted 20 years ago seems to have really gone downhill, to say the least.

I hope that doesn't happen here!

Social media is the "thing" these days...Where there was a just a couple different corn snake forums when this one was jumping now there are dozens of FB pages just dedicated to corn snakes, let alone boas, ball pythons, retics etc. I'm trying to check in more, I just don't have much going on with corn snakes.

Thanks for the welcome and the explanation, Chris!

I'm still a hold-out and don't have a FB page.

Welcome. Glad to have you aboard. Tell us what you are raising/keeping now. I was on the Fauna forum years ago when I raised reptiles for my son's pet shop.
Many of the corn snake breeders have given up. I search through the old posts and see names I almost forgot about until now.

I don't have, or want, a FB page. Once in a while someone will tell me to look at their page on FB and there is so much clutter that I can't even find what they want me to see. I don't have the patience to wade through that crap. Just send me a picture of what you want me to see.

Thanks, Twolunger.

In response to your post, I'm sorry to say that due to divorce, I lost my entire snake collection (long story). Since then, I've busied myself with my genetics website and smart phone apps that have similar calculation abilities of up to six genetic traits at the same time.

I'm also working on turning a snake keeping book that I wrote and published 22 years ago into an eBook. I'm not sure if there will be a market for it, but I'm going to see where it takes me.

As you can probably tell, I have very mixed emotions about FB, and I agree with your comments. I'm struggling with the fact that FB seems to be one of the best ways to promote online ventures such as mine.

I'm curious about your comment that "Many of the corn snakes breeders have given up." Why is that? I'm assuming it's not because of lack of breeding success, so my guess is that it has become a hard way to make money. Please let me know so that I don't over-indulge my life-long passion for snakes and go down the wrong road!

I think Rich Z can tell you why excellent corn snake breeders chose to quit. In fact, he mentioned it in a post not too long ago. Hobby breeders can still sell corn snakes and hopefully bring in enough money to pay their rodent costs. If you want to really earn some spending cash you need a large operation with high end morphs, and a higher degree of headaches. Some of the larger breeders raise 6000-7000 corn snakes each year, most of which are sold wholesale to Europe and Asian countries. Thankfully, there are still a few corn breeders selling beautiful morphs to the average Joe like me.

I have a pretty good customer base, and just breed a pair or two of corns every year. There are still hobbyists breeders out here :grin01: This season I'm hoping for "Orange" Tessera's, Snow Bufs, with Dilute and Motley in the mix as well. Will be a headache picking snows from Buf Snows, Oranges from Dilute Oranges.

The forum is really dragging lately, very few posts and very little in the way of discussion. Rich monitors the activity, and if the forum no longer meets the needs of the corn snake community, it will disappear. Tell us what is happening with your corns, post pictures, tell us how you are developing the morphs you like, tell us how you maintain the health of your corns, tell us the best and worse things you encountered with your corns. Don't assume your topic won't be of interest to other members or guests. You may encourage others to chime in with their experiences too.

It's the same with most forums to be honest .. our RFUK forum is rather quiet .

The only reptile forum that is active and thriving is Ball-Pythons.net .

Don't be fooled by the name its for all reptiles and has evolved since the early days

Post an invitation on the Ball python forum for everyone to visit us here. ( if you won't be banned ) You would be surprised how many corn snake breeders don't even know our forum exists. I didn't even know it until I happened to be talking to Steve Roylance about some of the morphs I bought from Rich Z many years ago.

Post an invitation on the Ball python forum for everyone to visit us here. ( if you won't be banned ) You would be surprised how many corn snake breeders don't even know our forum exists. I didn't even know it until I happened to be talking to Steve Roylance about some of the morphs I bought from Rich Z many years ago.

I wouldn't advise that. MANY site owners really don't appreciate the "come look at my site" sort of postings. It is considered as an effort to siphon off their traffic to another site. All sites are competing for eyeballs. Some will not even accept paid advertising that attempts to direct traffic to competing sites.

Of course, maybe things have changed dramatically since FaceBorg has nearly taken over the internet.

Anyway, my interpretation of the situation here is quite simple: People just found places they would rather frequent than this site. It happens. So when the "voting with their feet" shows that this site has become a waste of storage space on my server, and it is time for this site to go, it will go.

Anyway, my interpretation of the situation here is quite simple: People just found places they would rather frequent than this site. It happens. So when the "voting with their feet" shows that this site has become a waste of storage space on my server, and it is time for this site to go, it will go.

I hope that never happens. As a newbie I've found this site very helpful. It's nice to actually be able to search the forums and learn new to me information.

Back