• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

1st rattler of the year (with pics)!

Theo's Keeper

I saw this guy at work while I was walking from headquarters to the maintenance area, on a little paved drive. He was sunning himself but started to move off as I approached. I wanted a pic of him really bad and I knew my coworker was right behind me in his truck, so I stepped in between him and the woods and found a long stick to keep him on the road shoulder. He was pretty chilled out, didn't rattle at all or strike. When my coworker pulled up I got his camera from his truck and snapped a couple of pictures. Unfortunately they're not so great, I didn't get his rattle at all, but I think he had about 5 or 6 layers. He's about 2 and a half feet long I'd estimate.

DSC01366.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

DSC01367.jpg

I saw another one today, but it was dead. I was walking down a fire road and was on top of it before I saw it. I just about peed myself before I realized it was dead! It smelled too bad to stop and take pics though.

Nope...that is Crotalus horridus.

By the way...where was this guy? I'm very interested in all accounts of upstate timber rattlesnakes. You can post here or PM me.

Thanks, Jeff. I'm still working on my eastern rattler ID's, and seem to always confuse the two...

Ah, I knew it was Timber Rattler, never seen one personally, but I've heard alot of stories about them in many different location.
Sounds like they are real popular than diamond back in up north.
Hey Tyflier, I recently moved up the U.P. Michigan,
There's only one venomous snake around in this location is Timber Rattler, but
hopefully, I'll try to capture the biggest one around.

Back