CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

my male snake laid eggs?

Old 05-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #1
proudofmytranssnake
Question my male snake laid eggs?

Hello, I have quite a funny story for you all.
I have had a corn snake for nearly 11 years now, and when we bought him I was told he was a male.
BUT
for the past few months he has been acting very strangely, he's been refusing food, moving around much more and trying to escape all the time. We also noticed a few lumps in his side and that he was having trouble breathing. we assumed it was just because he was getting old and possibly cancerous and so we were considering taking him to the vet but today there were two weird stones in his tank that hadn't been there before.
We think that they might be infertile eggs but is that even possible? As I said we've had him over 10 years and this has never (as far as we know) happened before. If they are eggs what would have happened now to make him lay them and what should we do with the eggs? do we leave them in the tank or should we take them out? we don't want to cause him any distress so what's the best thing to do in this situation?
Thanks

Old 05-24-2018, 02:04 PM   #2
Shiari
Can you provide pictures of what you found?
And yes, it's perfectly possible your snake was incorrectly sexed when you bought it and that it's now laying infertile eggs. It's not particularly common, but it's not exactly rare either.
Go ahead and take whatever it is out of the tank, it won't distress your snake. That said, however, eggs would not cause breathing difficulties and they aren't normally visible as 'lumps in his side', so a vet visit is still definitely in order.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #3
Twolunger
Take the "stones" out of the tank and tell us if they are soft or hard, and if possible take the pictures. I did have a female that laid what I describe as a calcified egg, hard as a rock, followed by one with a rough shell. Those eggs did cause her discomfort, but she did lay 7 small infertile eggs afterwards. They did not affect her breathing though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
egg, sexing