CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Snakes in the same room as rodents

Old 06-04-2018, 07:23 PM   #1
RogueRooster
Snakes in the same room as rodents

Hey all.
Really looking for a quick response here:
A friend of mine has to get rid of his 2 year old escapologist corn, he wants me to take her on as I have experience with corns in the past but I now have rodents (the other half doesn't like snakes). I have a pet room set up with custom built guinea run for the guinea pigs but the worry is the dwarf hamster, I'll have to get a brand new viv for the snake if she can escape the one she's in at present but I'm worried that putting her in close proximity to live 'prey' would stress her out not being able to get to they prey.
I want to take her on but the only way is to put a new viv in the animal room which currently has 3 guineas and a dwarf hamster, would a snake get stressed about having live prey nearby, would she eat the usual pinkies if she can sense live food?

I won't take her on till I can do the best by her and if needs be, I'll have to tell my mate no.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:26 PM   #2
Twolunger
I never kept my rodents in the same room as my snakes. I know when I bring frozen thawed into my snake room the corns know it immediately. I have had them put their nose right up to the ventilation holes in their rack container and stick their tongue out. I'm thinking the corn will sense the live rodents and perhaps act restless if not stressed.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:41 PM   #3
RogueRooster
That was my fear, it's been so long since I've had one I did quite a bit of research again to make sure I'm up to scratch with everything but only just thought of the fact that if the snake can see the hamster or even sense it would it get put off the normal thawed food. Thanks for the response, I think I'll let my mate know it's a no go, thank god I didn't rush into it, not that I ever have when it comes to pet ownership, cats and rodents don't go which is why I have the 'pet' room.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
67temp
I've kept rodents and snakes in the same room before with no ill affects. Currently I have a corn in my quarantine room which also doubles as my mouse feeder room. The snakes tank is right next to a mouse tank. He doesn't go crazy trying to get to the mice. Though if I bring in a corn from my snake room/den and stand in the middle of the mouse room they will perk up a tiny bit and want to explore some. If they see the mice and are within 2' of the tank they try their hardest to get into the mice tanks. If put into a snake tank in the mouse room they will settle down after a bit.

I think it all depends on the levels of scent they are accustomed to. Similar to how people that smell bad from their pets or lack of hygiene don't know how bad they actually smell.

I know of a ball python that normally eats live. The rodents will constantly get in the hide and sleep with the snake for several days till the snake finally decides to eat them.

In the near future I plan to totally clear out the mouse room and make it a snake/mouse room with a set controlled ambient temperature separate from the rest of the house.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
DeuceRon
I dont think its a big deal if they arent close to each other. In fact, my wife has been wanting another hamster and it will be in the same room, just across the room and not next to the snake.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:56 AM   #6
MysticExotics
It shouldn't be too much of a problem, once they're used to the smell of them in there. The only reason I don't keep my rodents in the same room as my snakes, is the room has a warmer ambient temp, and I don't want it to be too warm for the mice.

Snakes have a keen sense of smell, I had a MBK a number of years ago, who always knew when a clutch was hatching, and he'd get excited and "pace" in his enclosure, because he knew that he would get any D.I.E. babies.

Old 06-26-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
DeuceRon
Well, my wife just got her hamster and it's in the same room. Ace doesn't even seem to know that it's there..

Time will tell.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google