• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A Big Cottonmouth

wax32

ALL YOUR BASE
My friend Gwen spotted a Cottonmouth in Lafitte, LA and took some photos. She was scared and didn't want to get too close, but here is a decent shot...

cottonmouth.jpg

Ah the cottonmouth! How I fear thee! I have good reason though. When I was little (maybe 6?) and living in very very rural Arkansas(we're talking trailer in the middle of the woods with creeks all over the place)I disappeared for a whole night. We had a pack of hunting dogs that I adored and must of followed them into the woods one day. When my parents found me I was curled up with the dogs, trying to coax a cottonmouth into coming to me. One dog was snarling at the snake, the other was practically laying on top of me and I was yelling at the dogs because I wanted that "worm". My grandpa shot the snake, explained that I was never ever to go near any snakes ever and thus began my total fear of snakes up until about 4 months ago.

That is amazing! They are fairly rare in my parts...except in the far south tip...

I was very lucky as a youngster (12 yo or so..) I was at a family get-together at a State Park in Southern Indiana...I'd have to check which one, but there was a creek running through it and as I was crossing the bridge, a cottonmouth was sitting by the creekside on a tangle of roots that grew into the water. No one was around it, but something had ticked it off, because it was showing that big pretty white mouth :D

I'm suprised that didn't get me "into snakes.." but I guess it wouldn't have mattered, I lived at home and my mom probably wouldn't have let me.
(She doesn't mind snakes, just hates watching them eat...live or frozen doesn't matter)

Anyways, great pic! Thanks for sharing :D

-Josh

The first time I ever got a boot tagged by one (thank the gods for LaCrosse greens!) was when I was about 5 or 6. I turned off a trail and peed in a bush without looking good. As I did, I must have startled one (just a typical adult like that one - I'm sure it wasn't the 40lb monster that it looked like to me) hiding in the tall grass right the because it spastically struck out and bumped my right foot.

Needless to say, I learned fast how to jump backwards, run, and fling urine over EVERYTHING INSIGHT all at the same time.
KJ

.....maybe to you! 25+ years later, and I still can't pee on a bush without looking under it for 5 minutes first!

Oh man I'm in the library and I just got some of the worst looks for busting out laughing. Sorry I am amused at your expense KJUN

LOL

Great responses all. My wife was with Gwen when she took the picture and said she didn't get close at all, she used a telephoto lens! :D

My wife says an alligator usually hangs out where they take portraits in this park down there... they were trying to find it to take a photo, be he was not to be found that day.

I would have had to got a stick. Good job we ain't got anything like that over here..lol
Prolly be typing with only three fingers now......LOL
Wait that would be two more, than now.

sadly I have seen more of those than I care to, lol. Never been bit or even struck at. But they are interesting to see. Good picture.

I think that should be the Louisiana state reptile, instead of the alligator. Yhe are prettier. IMHO. :D

Seen a lot of these close up in my lifetime, and still am wondering why
I haven't been bitten by a couple that I almost stepped on while playing
golf. . . .They go out of their way to let you know they don't want you
around, and will only bite if they have no other choice. I've watched
a lady handle these at a Serpentarium, and she would literally but her
boot almost right on top of these snakes, and they'd open their mouths
but never struck at her. . . . she did this to demonstrate that Moccosins
will not stirke you unless you are deliberatley going out of your way to
aggitate them, or just happen to step right on one.
Nature made these and Rattlesnakes with early warning devices to let
everyone know to back off. Those that get bitten are usually the kind that
think they are the next Crocodile Hunter, or were just unlucky enough to
step right on one without noticing them.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I once picked up a crawfish trap with one of those in it! I think I hit the bank faster than I ever moved before.

Such a beautiful snake :) I love venomous snakes for some reason.. :)

I love watching them in the wild (All Snakes) the venomous ones I respect
and admire from a distance. They don't want me in their space, and I know
my limitations on handling them, so me and the Hot snakes have an understanding.

:D

i was climbing a cliff next on a creek bed and on one of the ledges that i climbed was a cottonmouth and it scared me to death. my head was probably 3 feet away from it and i was staring dead into its esyes when i lifted my head about the cliff. talk about scary huh.

Back