CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Breeding/Egg Production & Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Breeding/Egg Production & Care Any topics concerning breeding of the cornsnake, brumation, egg laying, or issues concerning problems in any step along the way.

Pairing Choice for Lava

Old 12-06-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
ckkevin
Pairing Choice for Lava

I am helping my daughter choose a male for her female Lava. What would a good morph be to pair her lava with. Looking for something around $100 or less.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:54 AM   #2
Nanci
You know that you wouldn't see the combination babies until the second generation, right?

I like lava a lot. It goes well with cinder- that's my favorite. Goes well with bloodred. It goes really well with lavender, and a lava lavender is a pretty rare snake. Goes well with stripe- I have a lava stripe named Twizzler- you can do a search for her. (And for Cinder Lava, search for Cupcake.)

Old 12-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
ckkevin
Nanci, Thank you for the reply. Didn't realize it would take 2 generations but it makes sense now that you reminded me. I need to brush up on my corn snake genetics. I am assuming the only way to get some visual lavas in the first generation would be a male that was either lava or het for lava?

Old 12-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
Nanci
Correct. It's likely your female has hidden hets. Maybe amel. Maybe something else.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:53 PM   #5
Dragonling
Now's the time to brush up, before the breeding season begins. Here's Chuck's guide:

http://cornguide.com/geneticspages.php

Personally I'm a big fan of Lava Lavender. I'm surprised I've not yet started a Lava Orchid project. In fact it looks like no one has probably done it yet, so even if someone beats you to it, you'll be one of few people producing it if you start now. I probably would next year if I didn't already have more important plans for my Orchid.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
Twolunger
Steve Roylance has several Lava morph variations, including Lava Lavender (Amethyst) and Lava Opal. It would not surprise me to find out he has a Lava Orchid project too. He's like an artist the way he can combine morphs. I know he sold out almost all his 2017 hatchlings but keep an eye out for 2018 if there's something special you want.

Old 12-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #7
Dragonling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
He's like an artist the way he can combine morphs.
I feel we are kindred spirits in that. The classic corn is my blank canvas. I just have a much smaller studio and budget lol.

I'd bet he'll have them next year. Perhaps in stripe even.

Old 12-08-2017, 02:42 PM   #8
Twolunger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonling View Post
I feel we are kindred spirits in that. The classic corn is my blank canvas. I just have a much smaller studio and budget lol.

I'd bet he'll have them next year. Perhaps in stripe even.
Judging by the pictures of your corns, and your knowledge, you have a studio that would make anyone proud. I have the tendency to go off in multiple directions, rather than concentrate on one or two morphs. It is really hard when members post pictures and my first reaction is that I want some of those. LOL.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google