CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Health Issues/Feeding Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Health Issues/Feeding Problems Anything related to general or specific health problems. Issues having to do with feeding problems or tips.

Urgent! Baby corn vomitted after a day

Old 09-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #11
pretends2bnormal
My opinion would be that if it is minor work like removing bedding in the spot where he regurged to replace with new, changing water, or just moving some decor, I would try and leave him there and work around him if possible.

If you are planning larger changes like fully replacing the substrate or disinfecting the viv, then you would have to move him. I think that as long as it is brief and more than a few days before you attempt to feed, he will probably be fine.

It would be easier to say what is safer for him if we knew his size and the size of the viv you are using is.
Do you have a small kitchen scale or anything like that you could weigh him with while he is out if you decide to move him?

It's good that he got all the substrate off.

With more limited access to reptile products, you will have to do what you can with what's available to get him back on track. Let him get as much rest time as possible before you try to feed again if you need to pick him up to move him or make necessary changes to the viv.

Let us know how things go, I know I'm rooting for you and the little guy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 09-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
galeant

Here are the photos of him before the regurgitation. I keep him in a fairly decent size glass viv even an adult one can live. Would it make him stress more right now. He moves very very minimally. I want to remove all the substrate but i feel like he would be quite stressed if I move him now. I'm going to try to get as much of it as possible without touching him. At least he doesn't get scared by my hand. It would make it a lot harder

Old 09-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #13
galeant
I couldn't do the insert photo feature.

https://ibb.co/gG18e9
https://ibb.co/mVz5Rp

Old 09-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #14
pretends2bnormal
I can't tell what kind of substrate that is, but it does look like one that most people strongly recommend avoiding. Looks a lot like crushed walnut shell to me. I would get as much as you can without touching him and lay paper towel in a bare area and move him carefully onto the towel to get the rest out.

Usually corn snakes arent bothere by larger cages, so that's probably fine. He may like more clutter though, so you could put some toilet paper cardboard tubes in or crumpled up paper towel to give him some more security since it seems like a lot of open space.

Moving him is probably ok if it is a short time and he has a few days to calm before you try feeding again, so dont be too concerned about that today.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #15
Twolunger
That corn looks like he should have no problem eating a pinkie. He is already large enough so that you don't need to feed pinkie heads, but for his next feeding I'd use the smallest pinkie available. However, I have had a few young corns eat and regurge just before a shed. After the shed and a rest they returned to normal. I mention that, but it happens infrequently. Most people will tell you the sparse decorations can cause stress, or more precisely, the lack of several hides. I use paper towel tubes, flattened a bit for hides. Gradually they can be replaced with something more decorative as hides. Let's hope he didn't ingest that substrate.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #16
galeant
I will add more to the vivarium. He recovered some its energy back today which made me quite happy. He started wondering in the viv again.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:47 PM   #17
galeant
Update: Without touching him I replaced almost all of the substrate with paper towels. He still isn't very energetic but at least he moves inside the viv. Concluding from what you have said I think it's okay to feed him half a pinky the day after which makes it a 5 day wait.

Old 09-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #18
Twolunger
I'm a bit concerned that he isn't more energetic. Although some of my smaller hatchlings may have regurged due to the size of the pinkie, they were active anyway. Are you sure he isn't going into a shed? Do you know when he shed last? It's typical for my young corns to hide and become less active right before a shed.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #19
galeant
Yea it started concerning me a lot too. Now i came home and he was in the same location as he was this morning. Maybe he moved but i doubt it's a lot. I had to make sure he wasn't dead. I learned from the previous owner that he has shed approx. 15 days ago and I don't see any cloudiness(if that's a word) in his eyes. Is there anything else I should be doing at this point?

Old 09-25-2018, 05:21 PM   #20
pretends2bnormal
If he is still not very active, I would wait longer to feed him. If he doesnt have energy to move around, he probably will not have energy to digest his food and could lead to another regurge.

I have explained before why I would wait minimum 10 to 14 days before feeding, contrary to twolunger's opinion. Waiting 7 or 8 days was not enough for my corn snake (juvenile roughly 30 to 40 grams) and he regurgitated meals weekly for about a month and a half before he passed on. He had no other issues for us and had shed normally before the regurgitation issues began. He saw a vet after the second regurge and they re-iterated that wait time or double it and provided some medication that did not help in the end.

I strongly suggest waiting. Especially since you do not have a vet to go to for help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google