CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

A baby WHAT???

Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
KatieL
A baby WHAT???

Hey guys,

Thought I'd pop in for a few minutes to say hello. I also wanted to apologize to everyone who PM-ed me, and I'm sorry its taken me so long to get back to you all.

I've not had a chance to pop on the site as often as usual due to the newest (albeit temporary) addition to the family.

Everyone, I'd like to introduce Oliver:

Oliver is very pleased to meet you.

Oliver is a little baby grey squirrel, and he's about 4 weeks old. He's an orphan (hence the name), and his two siblings died when a family tried to take them in and raise them. Finding that they were unsuccessful when two of the three babies died, they brought Oliver to the Nature Center where I work. The nature center doesn't accept orphaned animals, but the family had tried every other place they could think of and been turned away, and since I had raised and release squirrels twice before...well, I just couldn't turn him away. So he's my newest baby. Fortunately, I have a job where they let me bring him in to work with me so I can feed him 3 times during the day. He's a hungry little critter right now. He was awful skinny and terribly dehydrated when I got him, but he's making improvements by leaps and bounds (literally).

Anyway, I just thought I'd share Oliver enjoying his oatmeal (although his main staple is kitten formula). I'm sure in the next few days many more cute pictures will come.

Thanks for looking!

Katie

Old 08-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #2
KatieL
Whoa! Oliver is HUGE! I think I forgot to resize him. Sorry guys.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:20 AM   #3
CAV
What are you feeding that poor thing??!?

Looks to me like Oliver could use some Kaopeptate or Imodium AD!

Old 08-12-2005, 09:29 AM   #4
debcash
Our office manager works with several of the local wildlife agencies and takes in orphaned babies. She brings them in the office to care for them during the day so we're never sure what may come in next. (Its great!)
We have Opie the Oppossum, now 4 mos old, and she's raised several grey squirrels. We have a 10 day old one she is working with right now. They are great little animals - I hope he does well!

Old 08-12-2005, 06:28 PM   #5
TrpnBils
Quote:
Originally Posted by debcash
We have a 10 day old one she is working with right now. They are great little animals - I hope he does well!
They're great until they grow up, and then it doesn't matter how much you've worked with them, they're completely wild. What I learned from working in wildlife rehab: Squirrel bites down to the bone in your hand are not fun. Think leather falconry gloves will help? Not in my experience, it just makes for one more article of clothing to get bloody...lol

Old 08-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #6
TrpnBils
But you're right, they are fun when they're young

Old 08-14-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
KatieL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAV
Looks to me like Oliver could use some Kaopeptate or Imodium AD!

How did I know I could count on you to comment on that little oatmeal droplet? Yeah, and that oatmeal juice sticks to everything...its especially fun to get out of their tails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrpnBils
They're great until they grow up, and then it doesn't matter how much you've worked with them, they're completely wild.
Don't I know it! The last litter of grey squirrels (with one little black squirrel) we raised and released were completely wild. Which, while it makes for some uncomfortable living situations in the weeks beforehand it sure makes you feel a lot more comfortable about releasing them. You know they'll be alright. That litter ended up being more wary of humans than the other squirrels that lived in the area. Go figure that one.

Anyway, thanks for the comments everyone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google