• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

New snake owner :)

barett

So I got my first baby snake. I have a question...or two haha. The first day he was on the warm side (at 87 degrees). Yesterday and this morning he was in his tree on the cool side. Is that normal that they will be off the warm side for so long?

It's perfectly normal. My snake usually only uses the warm hide right after he eats. They are very good at regulating their body temperatures and will stay wherever they are comfortable.

Most of mine have ambient/cool side in the mid to high 70's even then alot of them spent a decent amount of time near their water where it's a few degrees cooler.

So I got my first baby snake. I have a question...or two haha. The first day he was on the warm side (at 87 degrees). Yesterday and this morning he was in his tree on the cool side. Is that normal that they will be off the warm side for so long?

I am also a newbie and was wondering the same thing because my cornsnake seems to do the same thing. She seems to prefer the cool side. I even switched places with her hides thinking she might have liked the bigger one better but she still usually stays on the cool side. The warm hide shows around 85 degrees. Is it ok that she is fairly cool to the touch when I get her out and she has been in her cool hide?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the little guy ate last night no problem. Took the pinkie from the tongs and swallowes it down. Now he is in this warm hide. How excited am I haha.

He is ok with temps. Now I have to figure out how to handle him. he is super strikey and that freaks me a little. Just the surprise of it all. I know it will not hurt. But it scared me the other day. I will try again tonight and breathe through it.

I was the same way with mine. At first, I used one of those small snake hooks, so that I could get him in the air and easy to grab. Sometimes the grabbing of them with your hands will freak them out until they are used to you.
It only took a few times and then my snake was comfortable and the hook is now a dust collector.
Good luck!

Congrats on your new snake! I’ve only had my snake as an adult so I can’t say I know what it’s like to have a snake striking at you. I’m sure I’d be nervous as well. One thing that might help with the process is that you can condition the snake to expect to be held by rubbing it with a snake hook or in my case I just take an empty paper towel roll and touch him with it before I handle him so he knows handling time is coming. Lessens the chance of him thinking that you might be feeding him as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest things are that the strike itself scares me haha. Or that he will slither too fast and get away. He is TINY. But he is cute haha.

Back