CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Corn Snake Photo Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Corn Snake Photo Gallery Show them off! Post photos of your prizes and your favorities for everyone else to see and comment on.

Loopy's Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #191
Karl_Mcknight
One thing you could look at:

I tried to feed Rufus meals that were 10% to 13% of his body weight up until he passed 350 grams. At that point I just continue to feed the same. (He currently weighs about 410 grams but I am feeding 30 to 35 gram mice and will continue to do so.)

You stated you had small mice you were feeding Loopy but that doesn't tell us what those mice weigh. Being that Loopy weighs 269 grams he could easily eat about 26 to 33 grams per feeding. So you could weigh the mice, and as long as 2 don't exceed that, you could feed 2 at a time.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:58 PM   #192
DollysMom
Great on the new hide! Sounds wonderful.

With four now, if I didn’t have feedings on my calendar I’d get all confused. I’ve had to push feelings back or forward because I was going out or going for the weekend. Absolutely right that varying it doesn’t hurt. I also don’t feed in shed, even the ones that will eat. Just no need for it.

I have no doubt you’ll figure it out for Loopy. Feeding a growing snake is an ever evolving thing. I’m so far off the Munson plan. I’m on the Cleo plan.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #193
DLena
Loopy looks just perfect. I agree, do a quick k weight on the mice. You might be surprised because Loopy might need two, the big boy.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #194
kdickens
Chow day! Mmmm!
Another mouse! I can only hope Loopy doesn't get too bored with my meal selection. (Anyone ever think of that? What if you could only have one thing for the rest of your life?) Anyway, he seemed to enjoy it! This is a pic just before eating. I weighed him too and (drum roll please ... ) he's now at 324g! Gaining all the time. I checked the food chart I have and it says at that weight he could eat a normal size mouse. He's still at the 'small' mouse size right now. I'll have to order some soon I suppose! Also ... he hasn't shed for quite some time. Another one of those "I'll show you how long I can go!"

Old 12-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #195
Karl_Mcknight
He's Huuuuuuuuuuuge......!

You can give him different treats to mix it up a bit if you want to. Some folks give baby chicks, quail, quail eggs (not scrambled, but still in the shell).

Old 04-16-2018, 03:50 PM   #196
kdickens
Roller Coaster Ride

Well it's been awhile since reporting in ... I've had a feeding issue. Grrrrr!
March 16: Refused mouse! WTH? This was a first eating problem since he was a baby
March 21: Ate okay
April 2: Refused
April 5: Refused
April 12: New shipment of mice delivered, Reg. adult size
Refused new freshly frozen mouse
April 16: Success! Today he ate his first 'big boy' mouse! I still am at a loss to the crazy eating. Maybe season change? And mating season? Shoot, he's not even 3 yrs old! Anyway, I'm now going to start feeding every 2 weeks and see how that goes. Is that okay? Crazy snake. I was going to put him in 'time out'...This pic was from a couple days ago on an outside walk. He is now 3 feet, 4.5 inches long.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #197
Karl_Mcknight
My guess is mating season. I just went through the same thing with Rufus. He ate one mouse on Feb. 10th, and didn't eat again until last Saturday (9 weeks without food). He was fine though. Didn't lose any weight, still rambunctious as ever. He finally ate last Saturday.

I'm sure Loopy is fine. The part I hate is throwing out all those mice every time I tried to feed and didn't. I think I tossed out about 5 or 6 mice during that time. (We're on a 10 day feeding schedule...... when he's eating, LOL).

I had this same thing happen last year too, and Rufus was about the same age as Loopy. I think it can start in males around the 2nd year, for sure by the 3rd year.

As long as they aren't losing weight or acting sickly, don't worry about it. I've actually heard of a corn snake going 5 months without food, and then resumed eating again and was just fine.

By the way, Loopy looks handsome for sure.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #198
DollysMom
Of course both of my corn snakes are girls, and with no male pheromones to distract them they eat every time. I agree wholeheartedly with Karl. Seems like a male feeding strike. Though not a corn, I see the same pattern in my male house snake. Except they mate year round so I throw out mice about 3 months of the year. He drops a little weight but gains it all back. He will break his fast once when he gets hungry enough and go back to it for another week or two before he eats steady for a while again.

Like the country song, Loopy is looking for love in all the wrong places!

Old 04-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #199
DollysMom
I forgot to mention, Loopy is gorgeous. He’s gotten so big! I can’t believe this is the string bean that would only eat in a paper bag.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #200
DLena
Ken, Loopy looks stunning. His colors are so sharp and really intense. You’re such a good daddy!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google