CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

Albinos and Shedding

Old 11-06-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Jiboia-Arco-Íris
Red face Albinos and Shedding

Hey there! I was wondering how to tell if an albino cornsnake was shedding or in pre-shed.

I noticed that she had some regurgitation movements the last time she ate, although she ended up not regurgitating and took her meal well. The food wasn't large either. I heard that if you feed your snake in pre-shed they can regurgitate.

Aside from that I noticed that she hides a lot lately. I added a hide box and I keep it humid, but she stopped hiding there after two days. I haven't been handling her since the last time she ate and it's been 5 days. She has been moving around but from only two spots- her hide box on the cool end and on top of a plastic tree on the hot end.

I wonder if I should feed her this week or skip and if there are any other tips for me when it comes to letting her shed.

Thanks so much!

Name:  DSC03782 copy.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  278.9 KB

Old 11-07-2018, 04:15 AM   #2
Karl_Mcknight
Regurgitation Movements?

Old 11-07-2018, 04:27 AM   #3
Jiboia-Arco-Íris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Regurgitation Movements?
Yeah! Like the mouse she swallowed moved back up her neck before going back down.... and she yawned quite a bit afterwards. Really strange if you ask me, but I'm a new owner so I'm not too sure.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:24 PM   #4
Karl_Mcknight
Snakes yawn after eating to reset their jaws after spreading them so wide. All snakes do that.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 PM   #5
Jiboia-Arco-Íris
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl_Mcknight View Post
Snakes yawn after eating to reset their jaws after spreading them so wide. All snakes do that.

I've heard about that, although what put me off was the movement of the mouse since it moved up her neck. I've been feeding her week after week and she's never done anything like that... and the mice I've fed her were the same size.

I feel like maybe I'm being overly concerned but I do want to know what are the signs of a shedding albino snake. Do their eyes turn dull and blue like other cornsnakes?

Thanks so much for answering though! I'm glad it seems that I'm just being overly concerned for no reason.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
Twolunger
The eyes of an albino do cloud over the same way other morphs do. It may not seem as obvious, but it does happen.

Old 11-08-2018, 06:11 PM   #7
Jiboia-Arco-Íris
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
The eyes of an albino do cloud over the same way other morphs do. It may not seem as obvious, but it does happen.
Hey there! Turns out she just shed today. Basically, all of the worries I had were over a very simple reason. I absolutely could not tell by her eyes, but her general disposition changed and I should've listened to my gut! (Although maybe it's better to be safe than sorry?)

Thanks so much!

Old 11-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #8
Maevenish
You have a beautiful little noodle. Glad you were able to figure her out. I just got my Peach a few months ago and she's over a year old now. I found myself worrying that much about her as well. It's a good sign that you are a good parent. Enjoy your little one.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
shedding