CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > General Chit-Chat Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Chit-Chat Forum Discussion about general topics that are really off topic concerning corn snakes, or just about any old chit at all.

Painted Turtle Question

Old 08-28-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
mcnann_fam
Painted Turtle Question

Any thoughts on why out painted turtle refused to bask anymore?

For awhile he was only "basking" at night. He would swim all day and slept in his dock. Now he swims all day and sleeps under water.

Background:
Leon was a rescue. We got him in 2012. He is 16yrs old. Old neighbors gave him to us when they could no longer care for him. He was in a tiny tank for his size. We bought him a 50g stock tank, built him a ramp/got him a heat lamp and he would bask like normal during the day and sleep in the water at night.

We upgraded him to a 60g aquarium so he could really swim as the stock tank wasn't very deep. Maybe he is just enjoying all the water? I'm really concerned he is going to get shell rot.

We have tried several different watt heat lamps. Tried reptile and no reptile carpet on his egg crate basking platform.

Aside from not basking, he eats, poops and otherwise acts exactly the same.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:25 PM   #2
Twolunger
I can't answer with any certainty, but I used to have a pond about 90x150 feet. I took in rescued Eastern and Western Painted turtles, and Red Eared Sliders. The Painted turtles stayed in the water 90% of the time. The only time they really came out was when I fed them worms on the shore. I would check them periodically for shell rot, but never saw any.
If I fed floating fish food they just stayed in the water.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:27 PM   #3
mcnann_fam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twolunger View Post
I can't answer with any certainty, but I used to have a pond about 90x150 feet. I took in rescued Eastern and Western Painted turtles, and Red Eared Sliders. The Painted turtles stayed in the water 90% of the time. The only time they really came out was when I fed them worms on the shore. I would check them periodically for shell rot, but never saw any.
If I fed floating fish food they just stayed in the water.
Thank you for your experience with them.

I also see no sign of shell rot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google