• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

snake "training"

Iris

I've read some posts about people who've trained their corns to poop other stuff. Out of curiosity, how do you do that? Mine poops pretty much whenever he feels like it. Sometimes it's 2 days after feeding, other times 3 or 4. Can anyone who has successfully trained his/her corn please explain how it's done? It probably won't work on my dumb little friend though.. ;)

IMO

It's largely a matter of learning their habits and working to coincide your interactions with them so that it all works out the way you want it to.

For example, I've noticed mine tend to develop a place inside their enclosure where they "prefer" to poop. I bet if I were to put something like a piece of paper towel there, it would make cleaning a lot easier. I've also noticed one of my females tends to prefer pooping anywhere but inside her enclosure. It's a wise idea to make sure she has done her business for the week before handling her. ;)

I think this is also true of training dogs and cats, but more so with cornsnakes, since they are not so interested in "feedback" in the form of rewards and treats.

Wish my corns were a little more considerate. They tend to poop whereever they want. But if I had to notice a trend I'd say they more often than not poop in their waiter bowls.

-Kev

One of my corns do that. He tends to poop near the water bowl but not in the water bowl. Therefore I tend to put more aspen bedding on that side and it makes cleaning really easy!

Mine poop's usually by her rock wall though she has started doing it in her water bowl as well. If I have her out and she stop's dead apart from a few muscle contractions I know she is going to poop so I usually keep some kitchen roll handy and stick it under her bum to catch it which is better than being on me.
Came in from work the other day my poor hubby got wrong for not changing his clothes (I thought he had been up the garden and digging manure in) told him he needed a shower but oops! Wilma had pooped, and he was stood next to her tank. For so little it sure can smell strong.:D

I always give my snake a bath at about 48 hours,,,,,,if she had a larger meal then I'll wait till about 60-72 hours then bathe her,,,,she poops every time in the bath,,,,,,,,,,no muss no fuss,,,,,,,and the bath is good for her too. She's never pooped in her tank this way.

Lucky so far I guess,,,,,,,,,

Sheri =o)

Trained to poop...

I've just begun working with my little ones, but my Ol' Boy, Spot, is well trained. I'll usually feed him around 6:00 in the evening on Monday and come 6:00 Wednesday he's ready to defecate. I just open the lid to his cage and go back to watching Discovery/Animal Planet. He crawls out and goes into the bathroom. When I hear the toilet flush, I know it's time to put down the remote and go over to his cage to give him a leg up so he can climb back in. I've trained him (and am doing so now with my little ones) by suspending a stunned mouse from the end of a sting by it tail and hanging it from the ceiling over the toilet. Tight, Huh?

Don't you wish?:D :rolleyes:

Gregg

I think that giving them a little bath after 48 hours of their meal is great. Since it helps moist their skin and at the same time, let them poop in the water so that cleaning is made much easier. I do that with all of my little ones.....the big ones are a bit harder to do.....they just wont stay still in the water...
Good Luck and Happy Herping!

Mine always poops somewhere around the edge (perimeter) of his tank. Once I was giving him a bath and he pooped in my mom's bathroom sink. Oops! I didn't tell my mom though...
I think I'll keep observing Xavier and figure out later on if I want to try training him or not. It's not really a problem for me to clean out the tank. I just don't like the smell too much..........

Thanks for all the replies

I have a emale candy cane that I house by itself that tends to only poop in his water bowl and no where else. I guess if you can get them pattern to doing certain behavior when they are young it is a possiblity, but this is assuming this behavior is capable in snakes.:rolleyes:

Alpha pooop

My male poops only in the one side of the tank, his hide and water is on the other side , he never poops that side of the tank , always furthest from the hide , but it is a big cage , 2,8m ,,and i guess that is normal behavious since the snake would not like to give away it's position in the wild....so i guess it wants to poop as far away from the hide as possable to avaid detection ;) .Like you all noticed the first thing you notice about a snake is the smell of it....da poopoo is bad man :cool:

Ummm, I'm sending my snakes to Gregg's house

OK...well then, if we're going to be talking about poop I just have to get a few words in. The bath idea works best for us. two/three days after they have eaten a warm bath brings out the best in them. Easy to see, clean etc. Doesn't always work and some are more shy and would rather wait until the lights are out, so we have a little of the water bowl, side of the water dish, one favorite corner, things like that. I agree with Serpwidgets, it really is training ourselves to anticipate their needs and then accommodate the situation...of course Gregg's method is the best and I can't wait to give it a go. Sam ~~~~~~:~

Thanks for all the interesting responses! Some of your snakes are really well trained...or some of YOU are really well trained...lol ;)

I DONT KNOW IF YOU REALLY WANT TO TRAIN YOUR SNAKE I HEARD FROM MANY PEOPLE SAID AFTER TRAINING THIER NOT AS ACTIVE.

Like I stated before I don't believe they are actually trained but condition to do certain activities, As for the in activity I think you can alter this condition by making living condission(sp?) closer to natural which makes them comfortable and more active.

I see...well it's really not a problem for me to clean out the snakes poop wherever it is in his tank. I'm just happy as long as he doesn't do it on me! (happened 2x already)

Actually, today I took him out (I neglected to do so yesterday) and I was playing with him when he went really still and I saw the vent starting to like sort of...pulse? Thank g0d I'm so messy! I happened to have a roll of paper towels nearby taht I hadn't put back in the kitchen so I ripped off a piece and got it under his tail right as he "let loose." What a close call! This was in the living room. On a very light, beige-ish carpet. My mom would have gone berserk. And that would have been the end of me and my little friend right then and there. :eek:

Don't feel to bad I have a long history of snakes, frogs, cats, dogs, and babies either pooping or peeing on me. After sometime it doesnt bother me as much anymore.

hahahaha
well that's...comforting
so far it's only been birds and snakes for me. we'll see as i get farther along in life

nope mine's just happy the way it is

hey all,
I didn't bother training mine to poop in certin places I like mine just the way it is but I do like hearing about everyones way of training there UNIQUE corn. Well see everyone take care
corns rule

I Give Cleo a bath about 2 days after she's eaten, and then I don't have to worry about cleaning the cage, she goes in the bath. Well, because she hasen't eaten for a few weeks, she's only pooped once in the last month, but she does like her warm baths!!:D

Back