CornSnakes.com Forums  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLinks ads? Register and log in!

Go Back   CornSnakes.com Forums > The CornSnake Forums > Husbandry and Basic Care
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Husbandry and Basic Care General stuff about keeping and maintaining cornsnakes in captivity.

PVC Cage and Radiant Heat Panel

Old 12-14-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
DarkLorde
Exclamation PVC Cage and Radiant Heat Panel

Hi, I am researching corn snakes and hoping to get an Okeetee Corn soon, and have a question about the heat and cage. I like the feedback on PVC cages, but am wondering if those are a good route to go on for corn snakes? I want to get at least a 36"x24"x12" enclosure as the final enclosure, but I am making a list of everything I need, but can not really start that until I have chosen the cage. If I went the PVC route, I would like to only use a radiant heat panel. Is that possible? I live in Michigan, so winters are cold and summers are hot. If you think I can use only a heat panel and be fine, does that attach to the top of the cage? Do you have to drill any holes other than that for the wire? In conclusion, my questions are:

Is a PVC cage a good or bad idea, if not, what is the best cage (other than tubs and things of that nature)?
In a PVC cage, will it be fine if I use only a radiant heat panel?
Where is the panel located and do I have to drill holes other than the one for the wire?

Thanks so much!
-Josh

Old 12-14-2017, 11:21 PM   #2
Twolunger
Hi Josh, For single corn snakes the PVC cages are nice. Usually the radiant heat panels are mounted on the sides or back, but are mainly intended for arboreal snakes. I know AP ( Animal Plastics ) makes PVC cages with bottom heat. Boaphile also makes cages with low wattage Flexwatt heat panels. Bottom heat is usually recommended for corns. Check out their websites to see what they offer. On the downside, PVC cages can be a bit pricey. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:56 AM   #3
MysticExotics
I'm a fan of Animal Plastics.
Most of the people that I know that have the AP cages with radiant heat panels mount the panel inside, on the top.

Many people use heat under the enclosure, but top heat, back heat, side heat, ambient heat are all fine, just make sure you have a thermostat to regulate the heat temps.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! Cornsnakes.com is the largest online community dedicated to cornsnakes . Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Google

Tags
cages, heating, okeetee